Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the back of a transit, everything is soaked with it and my tools are going rusty :shock:!!!!!!!

would a roof vent help ?? maybe one of those spinning things you see on some vans or would letting in a vented panel in the sides work ??

anyone know what else i can do to stop or even just reduce it a bit ??

cheers guys :tup:

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Chris you have a water leak in there ,you need to find/fix it or your stuck with the problem,A Flitner(spiny thing) will have a very marginal effect on the situation,Get some ouside with a hose and you inside with a torch ! -And remember allways fix a leak from the outside.good luck,Bry

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers boss

i did wonder about a leak and had a cursory glance at the door seals etc which all seemed ok, its odd as theres no obv water on the floor of the van, just all over the inside of the roof and its dripping off !!!!

i'll recheck with the hose and report back

thanks again :tup:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
It can happen, hot air left in the van after you've had the heater on, cold spell on non insulated panels and you have a condensor effectively .It's made worse if you also have a water leak as that will also ride back up in the hot air and recondense.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mines the same . Deffo no water leak , but there's more condensation on the inside than on the outside in the morning.

Roll on the summer :tup:

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
If you can park it in your driveway and get an extn lead to it, you can leave one of those 240V tube heaters in there overnight.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
You can buy those small non electric dehumidifiers that will suck the moisture in, might help.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Have the same problem with my connect van,try putting a bowl in the back with some salt in it (dishwasher/watersoftner salt) it does help :tup:

·
Official Drag Addict....
7,446 Posts
cheap cord carpet and a couple of tins of spray glue......:tup:

·
richard rawlplug
8,120 Posts
cheap cord carpet and a couple of tins of spray glue......:tup:
mines boarded,insulated,underlayed and carpeted,warm and toasty at night....slept in it loads last summer..never had anything rust in it...well only the loadbay floor,wheel arches,rear doors....etc

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok guys, gave it a blast with the hose this afternoon and.... nothing !!

undeterred, i broke out the pressure washer - and other than blasting off a bit of wheelarch :D i only had a tiny leak around the bottom of the doors, so unless we've had some 100mph horizontal rain i dont think its got a leak under normal weather conditions,

so it looks like i'll be carpeting the roof at the weekend :lol:

thanks for you input guys :tup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
van condensation

how about a 12 volt 4 inch extractor fan ............never have condensation in my bathroom:D:incheek: I'll lend you the core cutter:pmsl:

mind you it will only come on with the interior light:lol:

·
0 to 60 in 3 weeks
348 Posts
when i was in the building game i had the same problem .till a old guy at the building yard said buy a bag of kiln dry sand leave it flat and put a few holes in it .cut damp down by half . lasted 2 weeks then got another bag .plus roof vent .worked for me

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Have the same problem with my connect van,try putting a bowl in the back with some salt in it (dishwasher/watersoftner salt) it does help :tup:
Defo works well as did in my caravan and that didnt even leak and you will be suprised how much water actually it traps. You can buy little gadgets from Caravan accessorie shops that trap moisture. It sound slike just a build of heat during the day and the normal cooling process on a night. As already said, carpets probably your best bet.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HG-Hagesan-Moisture-Condensation-Absorber-Trap-Blue_W0QQitemZ330390920718QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item4cecd55e0e

·
Registered
211 Posts
After a reasonably nice day yesterday my van interior was dry last night when I parked it in the drive.

This morning , quess what ?, yep condensation again. :tdown:

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you have been getting into the van with snow on your boots etc, once the water is in there it just keeps condensing and dripping, unless you dry it out.

Put a fan heater in there, get it nice and warm with all the doors etc shut.

Then open everything up and let the moisture blow away. :D

Repeat until dry, as they say.

You can do it using the van heater, whilst driving along, but it may not get the back warm enough to work fully.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Cheapo cat litter from Tesco Asda etc...use it in my caravan and garage. Just put a few holes in the top. Usually cost's around £1:50/£ 2:00 and last's around a month.
And can be used in the garage to soak up any liquid spills.

·
Registered
274 Posts
what i did with my bedford cf was on a warm day leave all doors open dry the roof then cover the underneath of the roof with spray on carpet glue leave to dry then rub in some chalk dust the condensation will keep returning to the painted surface when the roof cools if it is not coated

1 - 20 of 20 Posts