Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've talked my wife out of wanting a Fiat 500 because of the cost, she's now looking at the new Vauxhall Corsa 1.0. This uses a 3 cylinder engine, anyone got any experience of them good or bad?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not a very robust engine.
There are a number of problems with them and consequently they are buggers for head gaskets!
I was recently looking at a 30,000 mile late model version that looked very clean, came from a dealer and ran a little rough. Head Gasket!
I wouldn't buy one.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Curved ball

How about a young used Fiat 500 Twin Air. 2 cylinder turbo 85hp. It's meant ot be a screamer and fun to drive. Was going to change my daughter's 1.2 Fiat 500 for one but she keeps hitting things and the insurance is higher on the 895cc than the 1200cc

·
Feckin fibreglass!!
465 Posts
Thanks, the four cylinder 1.2 is only 350 quid dearer so probably better with that one.
We've got a 1.2L '07 Corsa and its totally gutless of the mark. My wife moans that its dangerous pulling out of roundabouts, etc. if i was you I'd drive one properly first. I wish for the extra we went for the 1.4!!! Check for clutch judder too!

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
To be honest, a new vauxhall would be the last thing I would buy, They are getting worse every year. and what's very worrying, is that vauxhall dealers can't fix some of them!

·
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest its the interest free credit Vauxhall are offering that makes the Corsa more attractive than the 500 or another Ka. We're going to look at the Corsa at the weekend as I'm sure she'll find it too big for her (she's only 4' 10 1/2" tall!!!!!). The only reason we're looking to change her Ka (2011 model with 3,100 miles on it!) is because she's finding the lack of central locking a pain when trying to get my daughter & shopping in when its pissing down with rain.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Just curious and please tell me to mind my own business but, why does her height make a difference to the size of the car? My missus is 5 feet (she says 5'1" but we don't believe her) and she drives a Range Rover Sport, I'm 5'11" and drive an Audi A3

·
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just curious and please tell me to mind my own business but, why does her height make a difference to the size of the car? My missus is 5 feet (she says 5'1" but we don't believe her) and she drives a Range Rover Sport, I'm 5'11" and drive an Audi A3
No idea! She seems to think you can only be in control of a car if it is in proportion with your height! I bought her a Vauxhall Omega years ago & she hated it because of its size. She also prefers small cars because she thinks they're easier to park.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
just to elaborate on my earlier comment, very new shape 1.3 cdti corsa in our place, 32000 miles, not firing on no4 injector, ecu fault, very very common problem on them, (petrols and diesels) vauxhall cannot supply us with an ecu, there's non in the country, and they haven't had any for 3 months. and its £700. told us that they will put us on the waiting list, our local dealership have 5 awaiting ecu's!!!!!
I could quote many other serious problems all across the range. faulty heater blower resistors on 12 month old models, that strangely aren't covered by their "fantastic" warranty. and so on and so on.
The interest free credit will be offset by repair costs by the time you have finished paying for it.

·
6,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just to elaborate on my earlier comment, very new shape 1.3 cdti corsa in our place, 32000 miles, not firing on no4 injector, ecu fault, very very common problem on them, (petrols and diesels) vauxhall cannot supply us with an ecu, there's non in the country, and they haven't had any for 3 months. and its £700. told us that they will put us on the waiting list, our local dealership have 5 awaiting ecu's!!!!!
I could quote many other serious problems all across the range. faulty heater blower resistors on 12 month old models, that strangely aren't covered by their "fantastic" warranty. and so on and so on.
The interest free credit will be offset by repair costs by the time you have finished paying for it.
Thanks, I've just shown her this thread & she's gone off Vauxhalls, probably end up with another slightly higher spec Ka.

She also says the reason she doesn't like big cars is because she can't see the end of the bonnet! I offered to get her a booster cushion.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Thanks, I've just shown her this thread & she's gone off Vauxhalls, probably end up with another slightly higher spec Ka.

She also says the reason she doesn't like big cars is because she can't see the end of the bonnet! I offered to get her a booster cushion.
So after all that, your really buying a fiat 500?! lol. people think a 500 is a ka, but its the other way round. to be honest I have a lot to do with fiat's and they are now a hell of a lot better than they used to be, although my personal recommendation has to go to hyundai or kia.

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
I'll suggest going to look at a Kia rio vr7, my missus ordered one 2weeks ago and we got a cracking deal on it. 7 years warranty 3 years servicing for £99 on the vr7 models only. Vr7 models are £1000 dearer than the basic but you get a lot of kit for the money, alloy wheels air con fancy interior panels and a few other bits and pieces. List price is £10495 we got it down £8700

1 - 20 of 23 Posts