Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
mini rwd

finally got the mini over from my dads and into garage last night. Plan was a vw 1.8t but was offered offered a 2.0 16v from a vectra Sri couldn't turn it down for the price. Hoping to have done for the summer.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
They used to do a lancia twin cam conversion for minis, I think it was called the Mincia. Keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well started on the mini last night wasn't at it long but got some of it stripped. I think al be replacing a lot of the panels. Seems there filler hiding rust.

·
Stay cool, admit nothing
1,836 Posts
Is it my eyes, or is there something strange about that steering wheel? :S

Good luck with the project. Should go like shit off a shiny shovel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it my eyes, or is there something strange about that steering wheel? :S

Good luck with the project. Should go like shit off a shiny shovel.
the steering wheel is a D shape. Hopefully should be quick hope to have it running around 200bhp.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tonight i had a little time on the mini. Stripped the driver door down, removed the windscreen to find the killers full of filler so gave it a buff down to find out its had a new roof fitted joined on every pillar. Also started removing the front end to get the engine out. Al try get pictures up tomorrow.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A bit worried about the roof. I know i can strengthen it up. Hi do you guys do it when doing a roof chop?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I personally haven't done a roof chop of my own, but was involved when my mate chopped his 32. To keep the body structure in shape, we welded in temporary support structures/box section. These were welded in place diagonally inside the car to stop flexing, movement, etc

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone else has done this in the past so i mean to strengthen it up now as i don't know how they went about doing if its just butt welded or not as personally i would have boxed inside the pillars so the roof slide over the box. The only thing i can think is to link a roof cage to the shell?

·
Registered
521 Posts
ive chopped a few minis, and find the easiest and best way is to put 25mm box section inside the b pillars, drill a hole in each side if the upper and lower pillar and put a piece of box section inside the lower about 2 inches down then plug weld the holes, do the same with the upper when you lower the upper section onto the box section. then seam weld right round. the rear pillars , you can drill out the spot welds on the inner support structre then butt weld the old and new bits back together (after lots of measuring and careful cutting), then when you have tacked the bits in place you can plug weld the inner structure to the outer then butt weld the rear pillars up. front pillars i just butt weld but make sure you get good penetration.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts