Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The TR7 bodied alterd???

Where has it been???

Originally built and campaigned by Phil Herrick (I think) later to live in the garden of a lad called Simon (I think), who used to be on the cleanup crew at Shakey, and lived in Earl Shilton???

The last I knew of it was about '91, has it been dragged (pun not intended) out just for the HRD's or will it be running again???

Didn't get a proper chance to have a look at it :sniff:, was too busy...:tup:

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
i saw it guy, simon day owns it,the car is complete runs the same rv8 with 4 sidedraught carbs..it has a strange transmission with handles rather than a lever.:beuj:

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Phil Herrick sounds right to me Guy, I knew him when I lived in Oadby and worked for Leicester City Council. Actually, when I say 'knew', it wasn't like we were great mates or anything but he had a print shop right by the council offices (is the double banana still there?) and he printed the club magazine for the MId England Roadsters for me. The earlier version of Vicious Trait was Muscle Sprout, with the frogeye Sprite body. I know he posts on the UKDRN website regularly. Seem to remember he had a thing about Alfa Giulias at the time too.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, Simon Day, would that be the same Simon from all those years ago???
Used to have long hair???

Al, I knew Phil when he had his MGBGT in the Rover class, came to our old garage looking for valve springs, spent the next couple of hours bouncing on them to see which ones would be any good :beuj:

We sponsored him for a while, and I went crewing for him at the Pod a few times, always seemed to be when he used his home brewed nitrous system it all went tits up...:sniff:

If you speak to him on the UKDRN site, say I said hello, I think I was registered on there, but can't remember my login... :drunk:

Al, double banana??? Which Council offices???

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't want to take this too far off topic but Leicester City Council had their offices in the centre of Leicester, two curved buildings, New Walk Centre, Welford Road?
Possibly, Lise does all the Council stuff...!!!

So, is Simon Day the chap who used to work at Shakey years ago then???

·
Registered
86 Posts
Possibly, Lise does all the Council stuff...!!!

So, is Simon Day the chap who used to work at Shakey years ago then???
Yes, Simon Day, still works at Shakey Raceway, you may have seen him replacing the block that Wild Willy Hadfield took out! he is part of the Tech Crew who, behind the scenes keeps shakey going with with all the technical equipment timing, scoreboards computers etc, and is still a dab hand with cars! He is still the owner of vicious trait

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeez, he has a lot less hair than the last time I saw him...!!!

Must say hi and catch up next time I am at Shakey, I think the last time I saw him was when I took him home in Grumpy's Toy, and scared the life out of him going round the corners near Mallory Park...:scared:

Would that have been him sitting in it whilst it was being pulled into the 'lanes' over the weekend???

If you see him first, tell him Guy says Hello... :tup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Jeez, he has a lot less hair than the last time I saw him...!!!

Must say hi and catch up next time I am at Shakey, I think the last time I saw him was when I took him home in Grumpy's Toy, and scared the life out of him going round the corners near Mallory Park...:scared:

Would that have been him sitting in it whilst it was being pulled into the 'lanes' over the weekend???

If you see him first, tell him Guy says Hello... :tup:
Saturday yes, sunday no, that was Jerry Cookson going brmmmm brmmmm :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Yes its me!
The frame for Vicious Trait was built by Mike Smith of KMB Autosport in Finedon way back in 1976/7. Originally with a 2600 cc Alfa Romeo straight six engine and a stretched frogeye Sprite fibreglass/aluminium shell called Muscle Sprout JCA 4. The gearbox was from an Austin Westminster with a column change and so I converted it to a "T" handle which rocked back and forward with a second handle that went up and down so it was a "vertical gate" shifter.
After a year the back axle - another Westminster item,was narrowed by Vince Shaw (Alkymist dragster) and he also sold me the Wolfrace rear wheels with S/H M& H slicks. In 1979 the Alfa engine was replaced by a 3.5 Rover as the rules required self starting and the Alfa flywheel had been lightened and had the ring gear taken off....
Also the Alfa had 3 40 DCOE Webers so I bought a 4th and made the cross-over manifold
To try and attract sponsorship I changed the bodyshell to the TR7 in 1980 to make it a TR 8 (Trait) with the V engine and wheelies - Vicious........But then Leyland cancelled the TR7/8!

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Oh and 40Stude was being told a bit of a fib as I was a teacher in 1981 when in Leicester and not in the print trade.
Anyway I raced the Trait and became part of the Mid City Cruisers based in Leicester with Pud (Mike) Swatland (building a RV8 105E Anglia - Puddings Revenge), Simon Day, Ian Shonks and John Wilkin,"Ted" with his 3 Litre "Communique" Capri - then 383 ci Super Gas.
I sold the Trait in 1986 to build the Super Sprite V8 but then it was offered back to me a year later - so the 4 of us bought it, refurbed and repainted it then raced it in turns but - over the next year Simon bought our three shares and still owns it. I last saw it at Shaky on display in 2010.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Here are three pics taken when the chassis was being constructed - in 1976 - so next year it will be 40 years old!!.......We were trying to get it finished in time for the Garlitt's meet - the car was there in the pits but we couldn't get an oil pump so it did not run until about June 1976.

With the black gloss, brush painted, frogeye shell. and yes my hair was longer then as well!

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
I see ian shonks...hes on here as iansignshop.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts