Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to paint these sun visors black or red but not sure how to go about it, i.e the best product to use. Can anyone recommend any vinyl paints at all?

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,371 Posts
A few years back I used Vinylkote, it was more than just a "paint" as it didn't simply sit on the surface of the material. It wasn't cheap but I used it to colour some beige seats black and it was brilliant and came out top in all the classic car magazine tests. Like most things preparation was very important, they sold all of the prep materials as well. Not sure if it is still available though, it wasn't the cheapest but was the best.

·
Registered
556 Posts
yeah used vht vinyl paint got it from american auto parts used it on door cards and roof lining that was 14 years ago still looks good

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi there
I,ve used vinylcote a few times, was great stuff, but I couldn't find any around lately- found a vinyl paint/dye by VHT off ebay .was pleased with the results..

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,143 Posts
/\ Sprayed some vinyl for my old kapri seats, about 12 years ,far as I know still in there and looking fine .Secret is to spend the money on the recommended cleaners.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I've used bog standard aerosol satin black on several sets of door trims over the years, on the advice of a professional sprayer.
You have to wipe the vinyl quickly with thinners, then immediately spray. Apparently, the thinners softens the vinyl and allows the cellulose paint to key in..

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
its about painting bloody sunvisors , thats boring, if life is down to what colour your sun visor is in importance just paint it with something, anything but to need to ask advice about it jeesus christ how bad can it get

·
6,371 Posts
100% relevant to someone rebuilding a car. If its so boring why not post a few technical threads yourself? Really don't understand the need for comments like that on a site where we're all supposed to have a common interest. Colouring & restoring trim is about as relevant as it gets whether its a sunvisor or a headlining.

·
6,371 Posts
I posted a question about MASKING TAPE the other day! Boring or what? 100% relevant to me and 100% car related and it was answered by helpful like minded folks.

If you think a threads boring don't read it.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
100% relevant to someone rebuilding a car. If its so boring why not post a few technical threads yourself? Really don't understand the need for comments like that on a site where we're all supposed to have a common interest. Colouring & restoring trim is about as relevant as it gets whether its a sunvisor or a headlining.
well now that sounds as though I would may be a person with no technical knowledge, however you miss my point, if I wanted to restore a full trim then I would probably use what is known as common sense and maybe use a proprietary brand of paint or for something as trivial as a sun visor just spray something on and see how it goes, if it was rare then get a sunvisor covered in vinyl from a scrapyard and try it on that,if you have read my posts you would realise that I do share technical knowledge when I feel it may be relevant but know my shortcomings and 36 years in mechanical engineering with a stint running my own business in fabrication is probably nothing to draw upon in any case, however 54 years as a born and bred Yorkshireman does tend to make me have a slightly dry sense of humour and reall what is the worst that could happen to your sun visors? keep me informed please

·
6,371 Posts
I was always told that there is no such thing as a daft question apart from the one you never asked. Why struggle with something when theres bound to be folks on here thathave already done the task? Far easier to ask a simple question, get the answer and move on rather than wasting time?

I've worked in engineering for 27 years but still like to learn from those that have "been there, done that". Anyway, its not my thread so I'll shut up and move on. Besides, I'm typing this on a phone & its hard work!

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
it is hard work that phone typing carry on, its true that every day is a school day and I am a bit of a cynical old bugger now and then so to save your eyes and fingers I am going to concede this one to you

1 - 20 of 27 Posts