Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you get an email from the post office saying they can't deliver a parcel DON'T open it, avg told me it was virus free "no it isn't" just wrecked my hard drive and I've had to have a new one fitted so I'm now trying to sort out all my favorites etc I don't know why I opened it must have been a momentary lapse of concentration. :cry::cry:
Nige

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
just wrecked my hard drive and I've had to have a new one fitted
In all seriousness who told you that you needed a replacement hard drive and who did all that for you ?
99% of the time it's possible to remove a virus without needing to re-install the operating system but to be told you need your hard drive replacing is nowt more than a scam :tdown:

Unless you threw your machine out the window when you saw the virus message then the virus did NOT wreck the hard drive. There's a chance it could be a coincidence that it went kaput at the same time but it wasn't the cause i'm afraid :tdown:

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
best option is not to use ms windows! linux or any flavour of it are more or less immune to viruses but can pass them on
Sadly a load of misguided information :shake:

There's shit out there that will get anything. If *nix stuff was that safe as houses i'd have no need to patch and secure any of my servers would I.
The reason less stuff is reported is because home use of *nix OS's is in a vast minority so it's less targeted. However, with the majority of web servers being of the *nix variety it's always been targeted in that respect.
The home OS's are built using the same framework so porting attacks over when they become popular enough would be almost instant.

There's no 'immunity' in whatever you run however each system can be quite easily secured.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Can I book you in case things go tits up Si? You could well be talking in Chinese to me. (I would have said Latin but I went to Grammar School so did that to O Level :) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts