Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you may know im a vw bay owner, and for the past few months have been looking for my first bug project..... BUT recently a guy who lives in my street who buys and sells classic projects has just had a pop delivred to his drive:shocked:
now im stumped as ive always been a bit of a closet/distant rod admirer and especially pops, do i consider this instead of the bug that ive desired forever??
As its a project and theres quite a bit of work to be done on it (apart from panels as they look to have already been fitted) is there anything i should look out for?
plus is a pop project advisable for a complete novice?
are parts easy to get or should i pretend ive not seen it and continue my quest for a bug?
all advice welcomed, cheers :tup:

·
127 Posts
it depend on you and what you really want plus how much work would it take to get either on the road, is the pop standard at the moment or is it a rod project? i think it's what ever you have the biggest desire for but i would strongly look at the work involved if you are seriously looking at the pop

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its standard at the moment but looks (from about 10 metres away) to be quite tidy, it defo has new front panels and primered and has an engine but that unfortunately is all i know at this point, ive been meaning to speak to him but hes not been around on the occasions ive walked past with my dog.
i'll try to take a few sneaky pics tomorrow.

·
127 Posts
it also depends on your taste and needs, if you went for a small engine such as a crossflow you could keep the standard bulkhead top but you would still need to make a trans tunnel or you could go for a larger engine involving more work and what rear would you want, what front end ect, or you could keep the sidevalve it would have and fit a aquaplane head also keeping the standard axles ect, so it could be very made easier or more involved

·
V8 addict
1,102 Posts
Are you sure it's not just a short term infatuation thing? I get drawn to cars all the time. Two weeks ago it was Jag's, specifically 420's and XJ12C's, two weeks before that it was Pontiacs, Now i'm looking at '66 Mustang coupe's. However, I've fancied an MGC GT for the longest time...

You need to sit down and think about what you really want and dont rush into things. It'd be so easy to buy something on the spur of the moment only to realise that's not what you want.

A pop may well be the right choice, but at least let the idea sink in for a bit before you reach for your wallet.

·
Premium Member
1,835 Posts
If you really wanted a bug you would be posting this on 'volkzone'. Or have you posted that you are a rodder into bugs on 'volkzone'. Get yourself down to Billing aquadrome this coming weekend and see if you are rodder fodder or not.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
If you really wanted a bug you would be posting this on 'volkzone'. Or have you posted that you are a rodder into bugs on 'volkzone'. Get yourself down to Billing aquadrome this coming weekend and see if you are rodder fodder or not.
Not necessarily ;) Drew has been a member of my other site VolksTORQUE for quite a while now. He's deffo into his VW's :tup:

On the other hand, we don't have to stick to one marque do we :tup:

Go for it andy i have one now. Be one cool dude like me lol . Fuck whats right or wrong follow your heart :tup:
Drew, I'll warn you now ... I talked Andy into his pop as well lol :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive liked rods especially pops for a long time, i just didnt know what they were called until funnily enough fbiiburton bought his, it was when i saw the pic of that a few months ago i could put a name to the car :D
for the time being the engine would definately be stock until either someone donated something bigger or my boss realises that im the best employee he's ever had and doubles my wage :pmsl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
burton are you going to deva dubs n rods? im hoping to get some inspiration whilst there (if im sober enough) :shocked:,
i think tallulah may be coming out to play again :pmsl:

·
Registered
777 Posts
you can get a bug practically anytime...loads about but a Pop is a bit different.
you need to find out as much as you can about the car in question. runner/driver (2 different things) mot, legal etc.....and the price. post that info and we'll tell you if it's good or not. Stock pop parts are cheap and simple, stuff sumat small in it, up grade the drive train and your good to go or just drive it stock for a bit then drop it in the weeds and up grade slowly.....or buy a part done rolling chassis and swap over the body....
I want a VW Convert too but there's no way I would forgo a rod to get one...may have one as a daily though (and the radar has found a 63 lhd convert not too far away as well!!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.