Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know much about vw type 25 (slab front) engines?...i know of a water cooled one (1.9?) that has some type of engine issues (not sure what)...what are the pitfalls of these engines? and is there an easy fix/replacement?...i'm tempted but don't want to take on a "money-pit",i need your knowledge fella's....cheers :tup: jerry.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Step away from the vw :D now start running and dont stop until you get home :lol:
Give me a clue what the engine issues are ,i would guess poor running and overheating due to snapped head bolts due to them running in the water jacket
This would be the 1st answer on a long list by the way
Next answer is it's running shit coz they have an awful carb fitted as standard
And in answer to your next question it costs a fortune to fix:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I drive one as a daily, 1.9 DG petrol water cooled. Most issues are when the coolant hasn't been changed at the specified intervals, the head studs run through the water jacket and corrode if the antifreeze becomes less effective. If it hasn't lost water it could be something simple.

Have a look on www.brickyard.co.uk for advice on engine swaps subaru is a fairly poular one but at a cost, there are cheaper alternatives like mk3 golf 1.9tdi engine or gti engine if you want to stay petrol.

Imo if you want one get a good 'un they are pretty much always going up in value.

·
Registered
612 Posts
you can swap out for scuby 2.2 fairly straight forward, or golf gti/tdi or audi A3 adaptor are needed for the gearbox but they are the simplest VW to convert as the have the cooling system in, for an average mechanic its probably only a weekends work.
scuby engines (EJ22) are cheap too,£500 from a scrappy or breakers with all ancilliaries on, strip those you dont need off, sell on ebay, and youll get a couple of hundred back

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the advice fellas,an alternative engine is a good idea,i'm hoping to get somemore info soon on the vw,its been standing for a while,so a general refresh would be needed on the brakes etc,if i took it on it would be a partial daily/weekend hauler so reliability is the main factor.....cheers jerry

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Im in Essex and have just bought one! Bit apprehensive TBH,but seems fairly well maintained. Just getting me head round the funny shaped engine(never had a vw before!) I ve heard about the a/freeze thing ,and you need a type that contains Phosphorous apparently.They take 16 litres of fluid.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
they suffer from over heating , it's mainly down to people not bleeding them right ,you should lift the front up in the air ;) ...
golf gti engines fit in , on the diesel bellhousing

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts