Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting some flyers done to leave on joe publics cars but 1st they need to be waterproof to a degree they don;t turn to mush ,this is important as i need to fill a section in ie a tick with a pen.Is such a thing or do i go the laminate route and a special marker which will probally cost to much. any pointers plse

·
Registered
502 Posts
A sealer coat will give them a degree of protection but not if they are subject to a downpour, frost, fog etc.

You can get waterproof paper but it won't be cheap (it is normally tear proof also).

Best thing is to have a chat with your proposed printers - stay away from the Instant print places if you can, try a small, local commercial printers.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QUOy TE=Roadrunna;426542]What about putting them in sandwich bags ? Or get some plastic bags done like those betterware catalogs and such ?[/QUOTE]yep decided to go normal flyers and we have been on the ebay and orderd some bags and bollocks to the rain,I don;t suppose i would be walking around in the rain anyway thinking about it:shake: it might be a good thing anyway putting them in small bags as car owners will be more curious instead of sweeping them off with there wipers.thanku for replies

·
Registered
192 Posts
The brand name for that tearproof/waterproof paper is Tyvek, they use it to make Airmail envelopes etc. out of but don't expect cheap as its made by Dupont.

I think the sandwich bags idea is a good one, if you put a badge/sticker or some other freebie in there it will make curiosity investigate the bag rather than bin it like a parking ticket.

Another option is you can print on acetate which is probably cheaper than Tyvek and see-through flyers would be memorable (and pretty cool), you can get tinted acetates too a bit like printing on coloured window tint film. i've see concert tickets done this way to great effect.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
I'd forgotten about Tyvek, odd considering my better half did an ad campaign for it when it was first launched. You are right though, it wont be cheap.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I am thinking about getting some flyers done to leave on joe publics cars but 1st they need to be waterproof to a degree they don;t turn to mush ,this is important as i need to fill a section in ie a tick with a pen.Is such a thing or do i go the laminate route and a special marker which will probally cost to much. any pointers plse
Use a laminator?
DUH ?

What about putting them in sandwich bags ? Or get some plastic bags done like those betterware catalogs and such ?
Good idea , have a word with a traffic warden perhaps he'll let you have his stash of bags :lol:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive been thinking again about this.
What you need is something that will keep water out, our be waterproof itself.
You may want to consider the ink running aswell.
what about recording the message on cds and leaving them. I think cds are waterproof.
Hope this helps

·
Dazed & Confused
3,507 Posts
Most Litho printed flyers will last for a while in the rain, use gloss or semi gloss paper.

Not sure about digital printing, most papers are not waterproof.

Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
862 Posts
You dont say how many you are having done but as a Litho Printer I know of some of the pitfalls.
The problem you have with some of these custom papers apart from the cost, is that your average biro won't wright on them as the ink skips along the surface.
You would be far better of just printing on a normal gloss stock without a sealer and putting them into plastic bags, best still wait for the Sun to come out.
The post office also offers a flyer delivery service.
I also think you need to check on the legality, I think that this practice has been outlawed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
What about using what i am now calling 'a tube system'?
You leave the flyers on cars in plastic tubes with capped ends.
The people then open them, reply on the flyer and put the flyer back in the tube.
The people can then leave the tubes behind for you to pick up and collect.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about using what i am now calling 'a tube system'?
You leave the flyers on cars in plastic tubes with capped ends.
The people then open them, reply on the flyer and put the flyer back in the tube.
The people can then leave the tubes behind for you to pick up and collect.
AM YOU ON CRACK MY FRIEND,LOOK FURTHER UP AND MY POSTING ALLREADY SAYS IM GOING THE BAG ROUTE SO IM GRATEFUL FOR THE SENSIBLE REPLYS AND JUST THINK YOU SEEM ABIT OF A TWAT END OF:finger:

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
AM YOU ON CRACK MY FRIEND,LOOK FURTHER UP AND MY POSTING ALLREADY SAYS IM GOING THE BAG ROUTE SO IM GRATEFUL FOR THE SENSIBLE REPLYS AND JUST THINK YOU SEEM ABIT OF A TWAT END OF:finger:
And i'd say with responses like this one you're unlikely to get help in the future. I know I personally won't bother anyway :tdown:

Ever thought that maybe an 'off the wall' marketing approach might get you more business ? Method in the madness ?
If you ask for advice then have the decency to take the good with the bad and the straightforward with the intuitive. Skipping aside those, lean to ignore stuff that you don't find helpful rather than acting like a cock.
How would you cope if one of the flyer recipients gave you shit for 'littering' their car ? You going to go off on one with them as well ?

And that is the end of it because i'm locking the thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.