Rods 'n' Sods banner

221 - 240 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes, 4 American Racing wheels, 2 BFG tyres and a load of parts for my 55 Chevy. Everything was made in China except maybe the tyres which are made by a French owned company.
yeh ok.. but how does that compare to how much you would have paid before?

I think I worked out that if I spend 1000 dollars now, it's 200quid more expensive than before the vote?
So.. on 2000 dollars worth of parts I'm paying 400 quid more than 2 weeks ago?

working on those values because that's the kind of money I was looking to spend on a front disc conversion kit and air ride, about 2k to 2,5k dollars

·
Premium Member
14,079 Posts

I think I worked out that if I spend 1000 dollars now, it's 200quid more expensive than before the vote?

working on those values because that's the kind of money I was looking to spend on a front disc conversion kit and air ride, about 2k to 2,5k dollars
where are you checking your exchange rate? I bought some dollars the day before the vote (just in case) at $1.44 to the pound. Yesterday I checked at the same place and it was $1.30 to the pound. Only $140 less for my grand. $140 is just over £100 so only about half as bad as you thought :tup:

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I wondered when George Osborne would drop the targets he set in 2013, the timing will imply it is something to do with Brexit but I suspect he's using it as a convenient excuse, sorry we didn't sort out the deficit, we would have done if we hadn't voted to leave the EU:

Osborne abandons 2020 budget surplus target - BBC News

It is going to be interesting over the next few years to see how the EU continues to work towards making itself into a Federal State, I'm convinced that an EU tax is round the corner, why bother paying to the Treasury who then pays the EU when we could do it directly :shake:

The EU is clearly going to make it as difficult for us as possible, they won't even begin trade negotiations until we have left, I guess that gives us 2 years to sort out trade agreements with other countries.

I really don't think we are the only country that will be leaving, Greece have clearly had enough and Austria are on the cusp of voting in a far-right head of state, and Holland also seem to be quite dissatisfied, clearly things are not well in the EU but the bureaucrats in Brussels will press on with their plans regardless of what the people think.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
[QUOTE.if i buy from the usa i pay no vat/ sales tax.
QUOTE]

You must be the only one then, UK vat charged on my imports plus 2%(?) import duty.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
Yes, we pay customs charges for from the States if it's over a certain amount (something like £50, I forget now).
I had to pay an extra £15 for a pair of trainers this morning before the UPS guy would let us sign for them. It's not all the time though. Some things get through quite regularly without the tax and it seems hit and miss.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

Sorry, by my man logic you only asked if anyone had bought from the US not the cost, I thought the subject was about imports in general but my bad. Anyhoo, I bought some stuff earlier in the year and the exchange rate was $1.39 to the £, now It's $1.33 so by my bad maths i reckon that's a fall of 3-4%. On your $2500 you'd be paying something like £80 more but leave it a week or so and we'll be back to where we were. As I said in an earlier post the £ was sold long in the run up to the vote, take a look at the Euro at about 10pm on the 22nd, someone must have made millions.

·
Administrator
9,520 Posts
I have .why.

Along with other stuff i purchased some mufflers last week.even with a poor exchange rate,with shipping it was only pound a doller.

Back to trade with the eu.what about vat.if i buy from the usa i pay no vat/ sales tax.

If i buy from the eu,i pay vat in tge country i purchase from.would thst stop.could make eu stuff quite cheap
Not correct Wayne.
If you buy from the EU you pay no VAT as we have a reciprocal agreement.
If we leave you might have to pay the VAT which might make the goods 20% more expensive.
This will be one of the major deals that Britain will be trying to keep.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Not correct Wayne.
If we leave you might have to pay the VAT which might make the goods 20% more expensive.
Of course we pay VAT on goods from the EU :S

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Not correct Wayne.
well i do so what am i missing out on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mark.if you buy goods from an eu country,you pay vat in that country.

Its different if youre are a vat registered business.

Dont take my word for it though.its all on the net.i only asked as i buy from germany a bit and wondered what was going to happen to the vat
You are correct. The recipricol agreement relates to between businesses. I had to supply my VAT number to various distributors in Europe for Harley parts and I would then receive the goods less VAT. Now I have deregistered from VAT I had to notify the distributors and now the goods are charged plus VAT at the country's rate. Rates vary between the different countries.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Apparently it has taken the EU 7 years so far to sort a trade agreement with Canada and they are not complete yet, we can't even begin to start negotiations until we leave which could be a couple of years yet so we are going to have to rely on WTO rules whatever they are.

The EU needs to get a move on because according to Professor Steven Hawking humans would not survive another thousand years on Earth because of the fragility of the planet. :sniff:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
You don't need a trade deal to trade.

Tariffs will be charged.

Trade deals are to lower theses tariffs.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
don't know the ins and out of trading in Europe, but a friend of my boss who is a wine merchant, buys his wine from france via a us company as its a lot easier, although it still get delivered to him from france,:beuj:

221 - 240 of 524 Posts