Rods 'n' Sods banner

241 - 260 of 524 Posts

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
You don't need a trade deal to trade.

Tariffs will be charged.

Trade deals are to lower theses tariffs.
Tariffs work both ways, it's going to be interesting because BMW may end up paying a tariff to import mini's into the EU or will the EU give them preferential treatment because they are German.

From some of the rhetoric it appears that the some of the EU Bureaucrats want to punish the UK for having the temerity to leave and to try and discourage other countries from following suit but they are trying to do it in a way that makes it appear that they are not imposing sanctions on the UK.

·
Registered
194 Posts
What is stopping the UK from buying goods through another country that already has a trade deal with the EU?

Just a thought.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
does any other country have a trade deal with the eu.wasn't that one of the points.the eu is to beurocratic to do stuff like trade deals easily
It's taken Canada 7 years so far to try and negotiate a trade deal, can't see the UK being able to negotiate one the way they work at the moment, I think Germany will want to sort out a trade deal pretty quick but I doubt the rest of the EU will be in any great hurry, Mr Junker will want a deal that punishes the UK for having the audacity to leave.

·
Registered
487 Posts
All I know is the pound is getting weaker against the dollar!!!
cannot buy parts!!! :( :(

on the other hand, all my harleys have gone up in value considerably seeing as now it costs more to import them from over there..

can someone please kick the exhange rate up?? against the euro would be good as well as going on holidays end of the month :)

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
It's taken Canada 7 years so far to try and negotiate a trade deal, can't see the UK being able to negotiate one the way they work at the moment, I think Germany will want to sort out a trade deal pretty quick but I doubt the rest of the EU will be in any great hurry, Mr Junker will want a deal that punishes the UK for having the audacity to leave.
I think france may as eager as the germans. no more peugeots, citroens and renaults. infact, thats got to be a good reason for us not bothering.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
is it me or are the powers that be seem more interesting in becoming Prime Minister either in England or Scotland than the task we face on the EU challenge ?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
is it me or are the powers that be seem more interesting in becoming Prime Minister either in England or Scotland than the task we face on the EU challenge ?
I agree,I don't trust any of them,the longer it takes I feel they (the government) will stay in the EU

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
We will leave the EU. But if we want fair trade deals then they (Brussels pricks) will insist we abide by all their rules and regulations. And this government like any other we are likely to get will agree..........we will be out of the EU but still put up with their bollocks. What a shame Farage (or someone will balls just as big) wont be leading us through this

·
richard rawlplug
8,098 Posts
be interesting to see what happens.as soon as a new pm is announced,you may see the doller rate rise.
If it's someone they like...

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
if its Teresa may we are all doomed. really hoping the other woman gets it, but don't think she has a chance. at least she was a brexiter with passion.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
The biggest threat to anything is the media and people's belief that they speak the truth. One of last week's headlines in the Evening Standard spouted off that house prices had already dropped significantly since the referendum. What bollocks - paper cited a few examples of properties that buyers had just significantly reduced in price - and the real reason as anyone with half a brain knows is - they had been overpriced previously and the sellers perhaps sensibly reduced the previously over inflated asking prices.
I would imagine 'behind the scenes' there are quite a few European car producers and domestic appliance manufacturers who will be lobbying discreetly behind the scenes that EU don't make things too difficult for UK to buy European produced goods and not to affect their sales too much - and that also goes for value of the pound - a weak pound vs Euro will hurt them too!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The other woman Andrea Leadsom:

In April 2013 at the Hansard Society's annual parliamentary affairs lecture, Leadsom warned against the UK leaving the European Union, stating that "I think it would be a disaster for our economy and it would lead to a decade of economic and political uncertainty at a time when the tectonic plates of global success are moving.

How times change, more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrea_Leadsom

241 - 260 of 524 Posts