Rods 'n' Sods banner

301 - 320 of 524 Posts

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
I think May will probably do a good job (hopefully). You are dead right we all need to be bullish and talk a good fight.

Interesting though, 3 of the major economies of the world will soon be run by women.
Nothing wrong with women, the best thing is that it will drive ISIS absolutely nuts :D

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Just read a story yesterday about the state of Italy.

" Italy has an unemployment rate of 11% and a banking sector in crisis, with government debt second only to that of Greece.
Italian banks are weighed down by massive bad debts, and may need a significant injection of funds"

Yep, the EU are in shit, think we are leaving at the right time.

As far as Boris and Farage not having a leaving plan.......heard this time and time again......why would they?.....they are not the government !

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
And the UK isn't....-£17,000,000,000,000,000,000 that's the UK bank Statement
UK's standing at approx 93% of GDP, the EU's stands at 80% of GDP(that is for the collective countries)

As far as Boris and Farage not having a leaving plan.......heard this time and time again......why would they?.....they are not the government !
You're wrong they sought to form a government ,or have an "Administration" to lead the government out Europe,Cameron was an arse for proposing the thing in the first place, and it was done in short time which was wrong IMO Boris saw it as a way to get Cameron's job, Farage ??..........nonetheless they proposed an alternative ,to the current if you like status quo, part of that strategy is or was to have alternatives to an outcome of a positive result (for them)...So they should have had a plan!!! .....a couple of game of chess , or a read at Sun Tzu ....Would have done them more good,,,,,The pair of Half Wits though they were playing Tig in the Public School Play ground.......that is why they should have had a plan

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Just read a story yesterday about the state of Italy.

" Italy has an unemployment rate of 11% and a banking sector in crisis, with government debt second only to that of Greece.
Italian banks are weighed down by massive bad debts, and may need a significant injection of funds"

Spain is just as bad and I think Ireland and Portugal have also had to be bailed out but the bailout comes with strict austerity conditions, it looks as though every EU country has been living beyond their means for years and now the mountain of debt is too much, the interest payments are starting to hurt.

At the same time the EU is giving Billions to member countries, by far Poland receives the most, between 2014 and 2010 Poland are going to get €106 Billion in EU handouts, no wonder the people in Italy are getting a little upset.

·
Stroker
5,443 Posts
As an aside to put things in to perspective for all sides me included.

We all know that we're relatively better off (in or out) even just looking back at our childhoods.
Few had a push bike, let alone a car or hot rod, no spanish holidays, paid weekly and no chance of property ownership.

Anyhoo, in my work with the elderly I meet some real characters and hear some inspiring and some chilling stories.

Just prompted a poorly old fella to eat and drink more to which he replied...

"I never ate or drunk for three days!"

I asked "when was that then?"

He replied "Dunkirk"

·
Registered
463 Posts
And the UK isn't....-£17,000,000,000,000,000,000 that's the UK bank Statement
I hate to be the one to bring some basic maths to this thread, but…

UK Debt is actually £1,700,000,000,000 (give, or take, a bit)
The United Kingdom National Debt Clock 2016 Counter >> nationaldebtclock.co.uk

So you are out by a factor of 10 million times the real answer. :rolleyes:

As a guide, the USA (No.1 economy in the world) had a debt of £19,000,000,000,000 (again, give, or take, a bit).
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

There may be a lot of things wrong with this country, however…
- We are NOT some 3rd world / tin pot country.
- We are still the 5th biggest economy in a world of almost 200 countries.
- We are one of only 5 permanent members of the UN Security Council.
- We are one of only 9 countries in the world with nuclear weapons.
( Regardless of whether you think that is a good, or bad, thing. )

Which is why I fully expect the UK to continue punching above its weight going forward.
( Provided everyone stops talking this country down. )

Although, ideally, the UK's wealth should be spread around a bit more fairly going forward too.

Cheers, Paul. :)

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
...Just prompted a poorly old fella to eat and drink more to which he replied...

"I never ate or drunk for three days!"

I asked "when was that then?"

He replied "Dunkirk"
It certainly puts things into perspective doesn't it? Yet still, people today moan and whine about the most trivial things. I dread to imagine what those guys went through :cry:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
There was so many zeros, 1.7 trillion
Osbourne 1 trillion , six years
Brown 0.7 trillion, nine years
Two useless dumplings

It's not really a benefit
If they are so great park them up the Thames, have you seen the size of the things? and they are 25 miles from your door

Although, ideally, the UK's wealth should be spread around a bit more fairly going forward too.
Think I've been saying that all along , London is too crowded , that doesn't help Londoners, unless you're a politician or stinking rich

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
You're wrong they sought to form a government ,or have an "Administration" to lead the government out Europe,Cameron was an arse for proposing the thing in the first place, and it was done in short time which was wrong IMO Boris saw it as a way to get Cameron's job, Farage ??..........nonetheless they proposed an alternative ,to the current if you like status quo, part of that strategy is or was to have alternatives to an outcome of a positive result (for them)...So they should have had a plan!!! .....a couple of game of chess , or a read at Sun Tzu ....Would have done them more good,,,,,The pair of Half Wits though they were playing Tig in the Public School Play ground.......that is why they should have had a plan
NOPE....you're wrong. Firstly, it was the GOVERNMENTS duty to have ALL bases covered, not to be so arrogant that it never occurred to them that a f'kin big part of this country was pissed off by the way it was being run. Also, the GOVERNMENT banned ANY department from having or even planning for the event of a a leave vote. The terms of the referendum were to garner the public preference on whether to remain in the EU. Technically the government does not have to implement it. It is parliament's and in particular the governments fault that there was no plan either way. How could those not in positions of power have plan that was credible? That is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
I hate to be the one to bring some basic maths to this thread, but…

UK Debt is actually £1,700,000,000,000 (give, or take, a bit)
The United Kingdom National Debt Clock 2016 Counter >> nationaldebtclock.co.uk

So you are out by a factor of 10 million times the real answer. :rolleyes:

As a guide, the USA (No.1 economy in the world) had a debt of £19,000,000,000,000 (again, give, or take, a bit).
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

There may be a lot of things wrong with this country, however…
- We are NOT some 3rd world / tin pot country.
- We are still the 5th biggest economy in a world of almost 200 countries.
( Regardless of whether you think that is a good, or bad, thing. )

Which is why I fully expect the UK to continue punching above its weight going forward.
( Provided everyone stops talking this country down. )

Cheers, Paul. :)
Very well put......with facts!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Well I stand to be corrected, that said Johnston and Gove being a minister and a a former mayor, should have some idea ,, I believe that the whole of the Tory party have an inbred perception that they are superstars and can do no wrong,Well guess what ......Cameron was desperate to win it , maybe a longer period before having it, remember He wanted it the same time as the Scottish elections,and North Britain says "That's far too early " so he puts it back a fortnight

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
Well I stand to be corrected, that said Johnston and Gove being a minister and a a former mayor, should have some idea ,, I believe that the whole of the Tory party have an inbred perception that they are superstars and can do no wrong,Well guess what ......Cameron was desperate to win it , maybe a longer period before having it, remember He wanted it the same time as the Scottish elections,and North Britain says "That's far too early " so he puts it back a fortnight
Isn't Scotland going it's own way and staying in the eu?

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Presuming of course that the EU will actually allow Scotland access - reality is they probably won't as it will open the flood gates for other 'sub' countries to do something similar!

·
Registered
646 Posts
hasn't Spain already said it'll veto Scotland joining the EU independently from the UK, as it's worried the Catalan region will want to do the same to them......

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
If it can,BUT the problem is that over 60% voted to stay in the EU, and the Administration , , is bound to follow the demand of the people, (the basis is that Scotland is a Sovereign nation as described in the Treaty of Arbroath , and it long and winded and it getting late, I explain if you want) That being the case the SNP need to try to stay in , ....that's the theory, the Union was a partnership, yet England is dictating that Scotland gets draw out of the EU, I've bored myself rigid , reading the arguments over this, and biased or not there has been nothing to say that the country should leave, and the talk of Greenland Norway and the rest , is clouding the issue,It not helped by the fact that Scotland is tried to rUK........and as for a Second Indy , Please bear in mind the subject is not brought up by the SNP but by Ruth Davidson constantly.
The timing the EU referendum was totally,Then folk change their minds
There are rumours floating about, coming from the Conservative Party this all started over a bet between Cameron and Johnston, a bit like Trading Places

hasn't Spain already said it'll veto Scotland joining the EU independently from the UK, as it's worried the Catalan region will want to so the same to them......
the minister appears to have been quoted out of context

If you read the bit at Spain it clarifies it a fair bit

Wings Over Scotland | Our Friends In Europa

'sub' countries
With respect I've pointed out it's a Sovereign Nation, so it ain't no sub country,

For the life of me I never thought I'd recalling Higher History on a car forum...lol

Hopefully not!!
I think In is better,I can see where you coming from,Small and Micro** businesses and all that goes with it( Been there done that and saw the financial crash coming and sold up) but consider that in France,Germany the Benelux countries ,in fact all over the EU small businesses flourish ,

**The European Commission defines a micro-business as one which has fewer than. ten employees and a turnover or balance sheet total of less than €2 million

301 - 320 of 524 Posts