Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the wife have been discussing emigrating tonight...is anyone else getting disalusioned with this country? came to a head for us when we read of an asian lad graffiting a war memorial with islam will rule england and osama is coming etc and was found not guilty of raceism..peterborough is chokka full of eastern europeans when you walk through the centre you dont often hear english, theres no jobs around here hell ive just applied at burger king fer crissakes i just dont see much of a future here anyone agree?

eddie

·
Registered
396 Posts
yep im looking at going over to oz in around 5 years, i think there is no hope because of exactly the sort of stuff you said

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
I'd love to for the same reasons you've stated and more,but it'll be a while for me..

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Me and my mates came to that decision about 5 years ago. Two of them went to Oz, I wish I had.
The problem is not immigration, it is that we have no resources, no manufacturing and soon to have no finance/banks.
All we have is shopping malls, warehouses and a jaded tourist industry.
When the largest employer is the NHS you know we're in trouble.
Rant over.

If you want to go and somewhere will have you, just do it.
While you still can...

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
looked at canada about 3 years ago, went for a job in a rod shop, i needed a bit more than i had to offer would have been up to speed in a couple of mounths, but to be honest it was very cold, - 20 one day i sort of wish i had given it a chance, but i have a busness here, propertys and i no where to get most things, i live on what i no but odly enough my wife is very up on what she does but they want lorry drivers so could have gone on that alone, spose ill never no, its a very big dection if your married with kids, and the grass is always greener etc, my mates is doing very well there and has no intention in comeing back, there nare pit falls like most things in life, id say go for it if thats your goal there are a few x pats on here that will shead more light im sure:tup:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
New Zealand looks good to me although I'm pretty happy where I am. My mate originally from Wood Green now in San Diego told me after going home for the first time in 15 years that he doesn't feel English anymore. I wouldnt go to that extreme,but every time I go home I see the place is deteriorating rapidly.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We had looked at moving abroad we had enough points to do Oz but as I have two kids with illness they won't entertain.
When you walk down the isles in Asda and find sections of Polish foods and a rabble of foreigners around it, or as someone said earlier just finding English being spoken is pretty rare.
I reckon we only have ourselves to blame though, we all sit here and let things happen and then moan about it. Other countries get alot more pro active rightly or wrongly. The french block or burn their problems, the Aussies stop boat loads of immigrants. Not trying to endorse riots but other countries don't sit by and let it happen. This country when English spoken and sunny there is nowhere better,

apart from fuel costs.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
What if !

Don't sit in your chair in years to come
and think the above
go for it
I would if I was starting out now
Good luck mate :tup:
Mick

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I agree with most of the posts here , I'm middle-aged and have watched my country decline steadily . No industries,no resources ,massive national debt, future isn't looking bright where I am concerned.
When I was in my 20s I looked at going to America, didn't make it on their points system so gave up...
As Moosehead said to anyone young -go for it! Don't spend you life looking back wishing you had made the move.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
i had thought of emergrating since i was 18, 38 now and still plodding on, trouble is you go to some one elses country and that makes you the foreigner!

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,263 Posts
Just don't forget to check out their Health ,Benefit and pension system in case you have need of them. Sometimes it is only when you need something you realise how good you had it before . You know how the criticism is levelled at foreigners coming over here and using our system...well you are THAT foreigner abroad .

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
I work for what was an English company, bought by Mexicans, [not a problem they are investing in the company, my job look's 'safe'.] but when you go to one of our sites and the H&S signs are in English and Polish I dispare. A friend's daughter went to Oz for six months three years ago and hasn't come back, good luck to the young with the guts to change I say........ Dave.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
Just don't forget to check out their Health ,Benefit and pension system in case you have need of them. Sometimes it is only when you need something you realise how good you had it before . You know how the criticism is levelled at foreigners coming over here and using our system...well you are THAT foreigner abroad .
too true kev , we looked into all that sort of stuff last year , some countries wont give you any help if you need it , EVER ! , found a few places that will though , and tbh , if brown gets in again (unlikely) we are going while we still can ...:S

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
trouble is you go to some one elses country and that makes you the foreigner![/QUOTE]

I went to Florida & S. Carolina for three months
years ago.
Most of it I was in Carolina
in a small town
Had a great time very friendly.and some great things
happened just because I was a foreigner.
so I would not say thats necessarily a bad thing
Mick

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
looked into new zealand last night and have more than enough points still only considering mind

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Had a chance when I was about 33 to go to Aus but the ex wife said she couldn't live anywhere that hot, and where things eat you:lol:. She pissed off with someone on a chat room a few years later so all became clear:finger:. Always wished I had gone but on the upside I became a single parent to my two boys overnight and that has been the best experience I have ever or will ever have:tup::tup:. Theyre 21 and 15 now, they were 13 and 8 when their mother went, great kids.:tup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
How long will it be before you find the odd shop with a sign in the window ENGLISH SPOKEN HERE ? within two generations white ethnic English will be the minority

1 - 20 of 109 Posts