Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many good ideas start in the pub,,this is one of em.....Next years Dragstalgia event is a long way of but i am planting the idea now to see how many takers there could be....We want pre 72 American bodied cars to make up a class for Dragstalgia.. The class will be a heads up class,rules are
pre 72 Ameriacn bodied
Stock Rear suspension (bolt on goodies ok such as Caltracs and slapper bars but NO ladder bars or Multilinks . Springs can be moved inboard)
Engine as big as your wallet will let you go (NO POWER ADDERS CARBS ONLY)
Tyres can be as big as you can stuff under your car
Weight of car ,,,,who cares
Car must be in the spirit of the ole school doorslammers so no snorkel scoops please
Now i know the Mopar Boys have some cars out there that fit the billl,but we need some of you Ford and Chevy guys to get with the program too.,So Tig ,Jerry Smith,Nick Woods without the gas, Simon Parker,,Dave B,Scott B,,,Duncan Cannonball put a bloody engine that that Chally and get it back on the track were it belongs and lets have it large at next years Dragstalgia

Contact me for me details ....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Not wanting to start a discussion such as the what is acceptable at the Hayride arguments.
I am on the side lines but love watching these events as a spectator & agree that entrants should have period mods, but aren't the requirements you state similar to the American Super Stock series (with the exception of nitrous) & possibly restricting field sizes.
Have you set your rules yet because surely there could be some Brit tin out there that fits the Dragstalgia bill (or are we talking of only American style nostalgis), Pops, Consuls etc, What about Gassers nothing more Nostalgic as them, even VW's were raced back in the day. Also what about pickups there must be some owners of early pickups out there that could be tempted to have a go.
Why no superchargers allowed, surely they can be nostalgic, would have trouble putting the extra power down with the limited suspension mods.
Would it be run under RWYB rules, would cars have to be MOT'd or can comp cars enter.
As I say I may be talking out of turn & if you think that, I appologise wholeheartedly, but I would love to see this event become one of the must attend events such as the Mopars & the HRD's.
Good luck with whatever you decide & I'm looking forward to attending next years event.
Ian

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chucks the whole idea is to keep it simple ,,, its a one of race at dragstalgia not a series....You come there bring your car and you race ...There are brackett races all year long so why not one heads up race for yank cars only at dragstalgia,, Can not see what the problem is,,so what if you know your car ain,t gonna be the winner, its about getting the cars that we KNOW are out there together on the same day and having fun , if you get knocked out ,,join the RWYB ....that is going on at the same time... Dragstalgia could be a great event and all we are trying to do is bring a bit of old school doorslamming back to the pod....Remember Russos Rat,Satans Toy,Firebrewed, Sylvia H Chally,,,, Believe it or not Chuck we don,t all like multi linked dumped on the floor sportsmans cars....

·
Registered
491 Posts
I know you have to have a cut off point Pete, but what if you have a '73/74 Dart/Cuda/Camaro/(73 Mustang) etc. all the same as bodys as the 70/71/72. How about making it cars with body shapes first made before '73 ? I know it can then get more complicated as the Camaros used the same body up to '82 (?), similar for the Vetts.
Just my thoughts, if your organizing it you run it with the the rules you want :tup:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you have to have a cut off point Pete, but what if you have a '73/74 Dart/Cuda/Camaro/(73 Mustang) etc. all the same as bodys as the 70/71/72. How about making it cars with body shapes first made before '73 ? I know it can then get more complicated as the Camaros used the same body up to '82 (?), similar for the Vetts.
Just my thoughts, if your organizing it you run it with the the rules you want :tup:
Lets worry about that if someone turns up with one of those year cars hey???

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:
Hm, is it pre-'72 body shape, or '72 and before?

Habit is a '74 Challenger (1972 body shape). Does she fit in or not? :happy:
I am gonna wish i never agreed to get involved with this:beuj::beuj:If that is Tigs Chally,,then we will call it a 72:tup:

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another class great, but please don't call it Outlaw--- bla bla bla. Good grief! Have all the good ideas gone?
I was thinking The Dragstalgia Superstock Shootout,,,,or DSS ,,,,i am sure some of you are famiar with them initials:D

Hey listen bring on the piss taking i can take it all ,..Fact is there are a lot of stock bodied yank moters out there with monster moters,,, Some are street legal some not ,,,you can complicate the rules if you like but all you will do is put some people of....It would be nice to have a field of old school Stockers but the reality is they are not there,so you spread your net wide and try and pull in as many cars as possible...We do this for fun not to get rich,,,I was not aware of any class in this country that runs these type of cars heads up...So to sum up what we have so far,,,the usual knobs finding fault ,,and a few that just want to race,,,, Lets support Dragstalgia ,if the class does not work then so be it,
There will always be quicker cars than yours , thats why there are the brackett classes .But one time a year to run heads up ain,t gonna break you heart....As for safety ,most of the guys i have in mind for this class know the score and are well covered in that department....so please no more negative comments ...

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
why the obsession with 'stock bodied yank motors', we are in the UK not the US so all kinds of cars etc should be equally welcome?
I first went to the drags around 1973,and the cars in the pics I took were mainly Pops,Minors,'T' & Jag bodied altereds etc, can't remember seeing that many yanks to be quite honest! Good luck with it anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Plenty of stock bodied pre '72 (or '74) yank motors out there that would fit this class. Can't explain the obsession though :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good on yer Pete for trying to organise the class, hopefully should have a good entry by next year. Plenty of cars around that fit the bill.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good on yer Pete for trying to organise the class, hopefully should have a good entry by next year. Plenty of cars around that fit the bill.
Thanks Chip,,,but i must confess it was not my idea,, but i sort of got rail roaded into it.Next July is a long way off,, but the Pod need to see if we can get at least 10 cars to make it worth while...I would love to see a sixteen car field , i know there out there sitting in garages from Crewe to Cornwall,,but its getting them all there on that weekend that will be the problem ..

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Problem I can see is that your rules contradict each other to an extent. Size of engine 'whatever your wallet allows' but no ladder bars or 4 link. I can't see anyone putting a 540ci engine let alone a 632 ect up front & expecting a stock suspension to handle it. I'm not knocking the idea it's great but your not going to see many 'wild' engined cars on stock suspension. Ladder bars were around in the 60's as were Rootes blowers & even centrifugal blowers date back to the 1920's.

Mine has been a race car since 1962. Shame the ladder bars let it down.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts