Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been having a bit of a nightmare with the Olds engine, ive been trying to make HT leads out of the only wire i had that looks in scale, sprayed black, when i try to bend it in to shape so it goes around the engine like real ones do its breaking of at the dizzy end & paint coming of, had enough!. I understand there is on the market scale leads allready fitted to a dizzy & you just trim them as required. Can anyone tell me were i can obtain a set?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I asked on here for model suppliers in the UK for these (and a few other bits I needed..) If you check down the next couple of pages there is a thread listing 2 or 3 decent ones.....( called model suppliers in the UK ) Hope you find it ok, I cant copy it sorry....... Lowlife ! !

·
Registered
864 Posts
Too much for me....I use small plastic tubing and HT wire from Hiroboy on 'tinternet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If I can be blunt; I find those HT wires from modeller suppliers way overpriced. Look in The States for 30 gauge wire, I get them from Radioshack, and you can order usually a complete roll for the price of two sets at a supplier, sometimes even for one set.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Tried strands if copper electrical cable? Or how about fine lead wire the stuff used by maggot drowners to tie fishing flies is quite fine. Should be available at most good tackle shops.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you tried an outdoor fishing supply store. What you are looking for is "Fly Tying Supplies", people who tie flies use lead wire to add weight to their creations. It can be had in different guages, comes on a small spool like sewing thread. Lead wire is very flexible, cuts easily and stays bent where you put it. Wipe it down with lacquer thinner or lighter fluid to clean, may be painted, treat it as a metal part, use epoxy or crazy glue.
Cheers Eh!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only just seen this, aint been on for ages. Thanks guys, the lead fly making stuff sounds like a goer, I even use a shop near Sevenoaks that is half model shop/half fishing tackle shop, sorted!.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I got a roll of 0.28mm copper wire from Maplins, cost £8 for about 30 metres - enough for 100s of engines.

I paint it with normal Humbrol or Revell enamel paint and never had a problem with flaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts