Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an up to date book or books on how to design and build a website.

Would be good to have something with worked examples, to help get a feel for what is possible. Mild to wild as they say.

There are no doubt loads available, but it would be nice to know which are best to use. :tup:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can't give you a definitive which is best, but would be worth keying in "website templates free" into Google.
There are companies out there that give you free templates so that you can play around (so worked examples like you mentioned) free of charge for a while.
I worked with a lad who had used some of the template companies for ssmall companies, and the results were quite impressive.
Hope this helps.
Best Regards
Pat

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi FlatheadFordV8

:incheek: The only book i have got relating to the internet is this one, but i don't suppose it is what you looking for, and even if it is it won't help you build a website. :pmsl:

:tup: Seriously though, Roadrunna should be able to help you with this (if he has got time) and i am sure there was a thread on this very subject a few months back (can't remember what it was called though).

:S To be honest i didn't really read it, i have enough trouble with english let alone whatever speak that thread was written in.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
It starts off really with what kind of site are you looking to build ?

Static (i.e. a little showcase homepage style site)
Dynamic/interactive (i.e. a forum or a blog or similar)

Everything I know has been self taught really or Googling for tutorials/code examples.

Static HTML is really quite easy and there's plenty of tutorials and write-up examples freely available on the net.

Things get more complicated when you go into the likes of interactive stuff and start coding in PHP or ASP etc. Not too bad if your head tends to work that way but think of it in the same respect as learning a new language.

If it's an dynamic site (or often updated) you want to build but without the major headache of learning the likes of PHP then there are quite a few CMS (Content Management System) apps available that have all the framework built up and you add pages/documents as if you were doing it in a word processor. You still need to style them to how you want but there are also pre-built themes for free and to buy.

Wordpress is a really good CMS to cut your teeth with (and it's used to put the shop together on here ;))

For an insight into what 'makes' a web page, right click on one of the dark bits on here and choose "View Source". That'll show you the actual code used to make this page display as it does :tup:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks.

As usual it's more complicated than you think.

I did a little bit of work in HTML a few years back and knew things would have moved on since then, hence the question.

The reason I was asking, is because our local swimming club has a website, and it was built by a student for a bit of experience, and was not getting maintained as much as it should.

The lad was asked if he would like to bring it more up to date, and to cut a long story short, he has taken his bat home, and left the site "under construction".

I've managed to get the passwords etc to gain access to the server to have a look at what is actually there and hopefully get something running for them.

It seems as if some of the files have PHP extensions, so I think I have some reading up to do. I'll know more later tonight when I get chance to have a proper look. I,m just hoping that he has not deleted the old site and I can at least get a contact page established.

I may be back with more questions if I get stuck.

The club is a none profit making setup, with all the teachers and coaches giving their time for free, so it's a bit annoying that this lad has dropped them in it, so to speak.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
First off, back everything up via FTP to your local machine. You could ideally do with being able to change the passwords as well. Last thing you want is to build the site and then have him wipe it if he's pissed off :tdown:

Also, you're likely to have a database running if you've got php files.

Did we speak about this before ? It rings a bell :beuj:

If you want me to have a look over it or just to make sure everything is backed up for you then I can.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Si,

I just got the passwords this morning, and have changed them as soon as I got access, so all should be safe now.

Had a quick look, and there is about 20 or 30 files in the public area, for want of a better word, and about 20 sub directories. I'll have a look around it all tonight and see what is what.

I suspect that some of it will be old stuff that is not used anymore.

Looked at the index file, and there appears to be a true / false question that directs the progam to the "under construction" text. I was going to edit the file to give a false rather than true answer, and see what happens.

I have already downloaded all of the files in the root, and will hopefully copy all of the sub directories tonight.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Pete

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi Si,

:tup: You just know that everyone that read post #4

(Quote)For an insight into what 'makes' a web page, right click on one of the dark bits on here and choose "View Source". That'll show you the actual code used to make this page display as it does (quote)

Has gone and done that (me included), and are now more confused than they were before.:pmsl:

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
When I was 16 I passed a test to be a programmer at IBM ..fuck knows how I did that cos that page view means nothing to me ....:pmsl:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know what you mean Kev, I did stuff at school in "Algol 60", and Basic, and you kept your program on a roll of punched paper tape, way before the interweb thing was even thought of. Aye! those were the days. :smoke:

Anyway, thanks to Si and the R&S community, progress is being made, and we should soon have a brand new website up and running.

Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts