Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I am pretty much fed up now and about to blow a gasket soon. I am looking for 3 wedding cars, I live the car life and a rolls royce really doesnt do it for me. My other half is an MOT tester and hes rolling his eyes at every hire company within range of us and their stoopid selection of cars! Why on earth is it so hard to find decent looking classic cars to hire?
Ok rant over on that bit, what I am after is someone or a few people that has some gorgeous classic american cars! Thats what I am after. i did get a quote from a company in Cambridge and to hire 2 chargers and a mustang to take me, my partner and parents to registry office in Peterborough, roughly 5 miles maybe less, then a 45 mile trip to Kings Lynn is going to sting me roughly £500+.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm sorry to have to tell you but you have 3 cars for at least 1/2 day, 3 drivers and 3 x 120 miles round trips. The fuel cost @ 20 mpg is roughly 110 gbp; take this away and you have roughly 400 gbp to cover the costs of the cars, hire insurance and wages. To be honest I think this is a really good price

·
formerly litig8r
720 Posts
I would agree with MikeS. I have occasionally hired out my cars to friends' weddings, for very little money, but lately I have also been heavily involved (as executor of a will) with a wedding/events car/bus hire business and three classic cars for £500, especially involving that sort of mileage, is a bargain. You might find cheaper but I would start to question the quality of what you are getting.

Have a look at what your local private hire firm would charge to do the same in three "ordinary" cars and then think about whether the difference is worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
For special cars you need to pay and your damned lucky to get somebody willing to travel that distance.
£500 for three is bargain. For that mileage I would be charging you £340 per car.
Classic cars like these cannot be out every weekend or else you risk a breakdown. I am about half the price of another firm up here who has couple of '50s yanks. And still some idiots think they are buying the cars the way they treat them leaning on paintwork lettink kids drink bloody fruit shoots on white seats and chucking coins out which bounce off the paintwork and cause damage. This is my last season for it. Not worth the hassle for 3 or 4 grand a year less costs.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Right I am pretty much fed up now and about to blow a gasket soon. I am looking for 3 wedding cars, I live the car life and a rolls royce really doesnt do it for me. My other half is an MOT tester and hes rolling his eyes at every hire company within range of us and their stoopid selection of cars! Why on earth is it so hard to find decent looking classic cars to hire?
Ok rant over on that bit, what I am after is someone or a few people that has some gorgeous classic american cars! Thats what I am after. i did get a quote from a company in Cambridge and to hire 2 chargers and a mustang to take me, my partner and parents to registry office in Peterborough, roughly 5 miles maybe less, then a 45 mile trip to Kings Lynn is going to sting me roughly £500+.
After such a friendly and generous posting I've no doubt you will have loads of classic yank owners banging on your door tonight !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would agree with MikeS. I have occasionally hired out my cars to friends' weddings, for very little money, but lately I have also been heavily involved (as executor of a will) with a wedding/events car/bus hire business and three classic cars for £500, especially involving that sort of mileage, is a bargain. You might find cheaper but I would start to question the quality of what you are getting.

Have a look at what your local private hire firm would charge to do the same in three "ordinary" cars and then think about whether the difference is worth it.
I took your advise and rang the guy who owns them back, turns out I need to get 3 drivers and insurance and pay for fuel on top of it, he also wont let me go and view the cars before the day which I am finding a little on the dodgey side

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This sort of thing really peeeees me off. Not prepared to pay the going rate and wants everything on the cheap - will be the first to complain when things go wrong and finds out that proper insurances and so forth are not in place. Obviously happy to take the dodgey route to save cash and then has the temerity to say, in the above post, that she thinks the local hire firm is dodgey . . .

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
It cost me £300 for a stock Mercedes and a people carrier for my wedding and that was for a journey of less than one mile so whoever you've got is quoting a very low price.
On another note it is traditionally the Grooms responsibility to sort the cars

·
Registered
316 Posts
You also need to consider the time spent prepping the cars - regardless of how long you have them on hire for, the company still has to put the time in to ensure they are spotlessly clean and shiny for the day and that takes time.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
Yep and when you want to view them you expect them to be in the same spotless condition and for slmebody to spend the time with you and from experience that can be 2 bloody hours.
Also somebody like me who takes pride in the job will arrive an hour early on a longer run to allow for delays and to possibly clean the car all over again if it has rained during the journey. Also although you only need the car a few hours it can't do anything else that day

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I took your advise and rang the guy who owns them back, turns out I need to get 3 drivers and insurance and pay for fuel on top of it, he also wont let me go and view the cars before the day which I am finding a little on the dodgey side
Now this starts to look more realistic. Avis will charge you 150 per day for a Jaguar XF, self drive, so there's your 500, near as damn it. I do agree with you though, if they won't let you view the cars then walk away or ask advice on here quoting the company name. It's very likely that some one on here will know the company and be able to give you an idea of the cars' condition

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Snap their hands off. That's very cheap. I was charged that as a special price negotiated down from £800 for a Model A, a Daimler Soveriegn Limo and drivers for 3hrs and less than 10 miles, House to Church to Reception and a cheap bottle of Champs for the Bride n Groom to drink on the way to the reception.

You'll only be doing this once if you mean what you'll say in your vows.

Congrats and good luck

Jon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts