Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i was just wondering what would happen IF u welding up a diff what would happen if u was reversing at a 90 degree turn in to a parking space as the wheels would be locked would you be burning rubber (wheel spinning)
now think lol

also where do you get the Sclips that sits in the diff a spring clip pushing all the cogs out /??? :incheek: thanks

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
hi i was just wondering what would happen IF u welding up a diff what would happen if u was reversing at a 90 degree turn in to a parking space as the wheels would be locked would you be burning rubber (wheel spinning)
now think lol

also where do you get the Sclips that sits in the diff a spring clip pushing all the cogs out /??? :incheek: thanks
youd be burning rubber to the local nick :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
I've ran a few cars with welded diffs, goes back to the days of having no cash for fancy parts, only downside is you will wear tyres on tight turning, other than that its not that noticeable, but works well as well as an lsd when you need it. good for putting power down and a great drifting or power slde aid.

·
My name is Martin
2,628 Posts
Having driven a welded diff for drifting the following should be noted:

-No noticable wear (after all you only weld a diff if you like wearing tyres out doing burnouts or drifting so wear will never be different)
-Understeer - The car may wish to push on round tight bends
-Weird squealing, hopping etc when parking a car on tight lock

It was the understeer that annoyed me most as I was used to fast turn in on tightish bends.

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
The car will always want to push on in bends with locked diffs, I learn't a totally different way of driving, example, a tight right hander coming up, about 50 yards from the bend, rock the steering wheel quickly to unsettle the car as the rear floats towards the left, power down hard and slide round the right hander, the crack is to keep the rear wheels going straight forward as much as possible, low profile tyres are a must, you need the strength in the sidewalls. drifters will know all of this, but to those who have not driven one, they can seem terrible things.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The car will always want to push on in bends with locked diffs, I learn't a totally different way of driving, example, a tight right hander coming up, about 50 yards from the bend, rock the steering wheel quickly to unsettle the car as the rear floats towards the left, power down hard and slide round the right hander, the crack is to keep the rear wheels going straight forward as much as possible, low profile tyres are a must, you need the strength in the sidewalls. drifters will know all of this, but to those who have not driven one, they can seem terrible things.
all sounds good here but you failed to mention what happens at 60 yards from bend, i,e, adjust tweed cap to jaunty angle, light pipe, take a quick stiffener from hip flask, kiss girlfriend, and announce "hang on to your skirt kitten,Im about to turn up the wick"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts