Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm thinking about having a go at welding. So to start with I've never done it and never had a go before.

I only want to do patching on body work and maybe few other bits like that and hopefully get chance if good enough quality and good enough equipment to weld my chassis rails and roll cage myself once get better.

Can you advice me on good enough equipment without over the top money as not doing it everyday use just as hobby. And if to go for gas or gas less and if ones like Clarke machine mart ones are good enough and so on. Don't want to be spending more than 300 on a welder though.

Thanks phil

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
like most things buy the best you can afford
get a cebora or such named brand
don't go for gas less
and practice
the thinner the metal the harder it is

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
In total agreement with chevy2 here the other thing you could do is sign up for evening classes at your local college

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have a look and see if your local college does any courses on the subject.
I did a night course at the local Agricultural college just to brush up on old skills and learn some new ones.

Well worth doing if you don't know any of the basics.

Then you can make an educated decision on equipment.

Must type faster!

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
In total agreement with chevy2 here the other thing you could do is sign up for evening classes at your local college
A couple of guys in our club did the local college thing, one night a week for about 10 weeks,
even though they felt there maybe wasn't enough time for each discipline mig, tig, gas, arc it still gave them a good insight into what was involved and somebody to explain where they were going wrong,

Think the course worked out about a tenner per night?

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thanks all will try the course then first then like you say will have more idea what need as in mig, tig and so on. I work for the jag and they do els courses where they pay so much towards so will put name down for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts