Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After you have been welding or grinding in the garage do you go out later to check there are no smouldering ashes? I do usualy after 30 mins then 30 mins later and 30mins after that.:tup:

Dont want a fire to start.:tdown:

mods wasnt certain where to put this so if you think it should be in on topic then please move it.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,362 Posts
Agreed. I always do the same after once setting fire to a bag of plaster under the bench. I didn't notice it smouldering until I switched the lights out before I locked up.

·
fixin your car
935 Posts
i used to do site work and we had to have a hot works permit,
we had to write on it what time we finished a hot work and we could not leave the area until an hour after,

this was about 5 yrs ago so things may have changed,

but at home or workshop i give it half an hour

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
Yes and me, I had a near miss years ago but it made an impression. I go back a couple of times and sniff around.

Rog.

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
i used to do site work and we had to have a hot works permit,
we had to write on it what time we finished a hot work and we could not leave the area until an hour after,

this was about 5 yrs ago so things may have changed,

but at home or workshop i give it half an hour
Nothings changed, had to do a hot works permit today and the 1 hour rule still applies.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
interesting that you said that your fuse keeps tripping, mine does that but only when I use my old arc welder. With my mig its fine and my uncles inverter its also fine.

·
I'm a grown up drunk!
2,645 Posts
interesting that you said that your fuse keeps tripping, mine does that but only when I use my old arc welder. With my mig its fine and my uncles inverter its also fine.
I could be wrong with the description as i'm no electrician but what you need is a D type rough service breaker, normally used on electrical motors that have an initial high start-up current pull.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts