Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any tips on welding stainless steel with a mig welder ?
can i use cougar gas or ?
what wire ?
settings compared to steel of same thickness ?
im using a 180 amp mig
trying to fab an exhaust so about 1.5mm wall

help

rob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Rob, if the material is 304 st stl you need 308l wire, 316 st stl 316l wire. By Cougar gas I assume you mean Air Products Cougar(5)? This is not suitable for st stl mig welding, I believe Astec S3? is the one. Setup would be similar to mild steel but you need to do a few test runs on some scrap to dial it in. Hope this helps
Steve Large

·
Registered
348 Posts
Torch liner

I think i read on the instructions with my welder that you need to change the torch liner if you weld stainless steel,when you've been welding mild steel,could be just my machine and its along time since i read it plus I've only welded mild steel:S

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
pure argon gas,same as tig.
& play with some scrap for settings,thats it, i've been welding professionally for years & never had a problem.
have fun & enjoy as its only a pipe not a nuclear plant where you have to get technical :D

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
possibly to do with cross contamination.
its more than likely that most diy type migs only come with a 0.6mm liner as standard , stainless wire is normally 0.8mm for these type of welders .

just my two cents and probably wrong !:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.