Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick enquiry as a mate of mine has just wet sanded his car in Canada and the result is superb.

Do many people over here still wet sand, or is it more normal to machine polish the paint after it has dried?

·
[url=http://www.nobrain.d
14,365 Posts
My painter mate recommends 2000 grade even on 2 pack, as it will take out slight imperfections such as dust specs in the finish. Time consuming and hard work but worth it I guess.
I've done it a few times but you to be so careful ..block in one hand and a bar of soap in the other wet the paper rub the soap over the block never let it go dry or you will need a new paint job ....:shock:

Bob....

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Surely you wet sand and then machine polish ?
Exactly ... the wet sanding will get the surface perfectly flat , if you don't do it the pad will simply follow any undulations in the paint . As Bob says always use an appropriate size block with plenty of water , you can squeegee it off as your working to make sure you haven't missed any bits .... and keep at least 1/2" away from any sharp swage lines and panel edges better still two layers of masking tape to protect 'em .

The top coat is really only the last 10% of any paint job , if you ain't done all the previous 90% right , bodywork and primer build up/flatting , no amount of wet sanding is gonna save ya :lol:

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
if you intend to wet sand and buff the fiinish, allow for it in the number of coats you apply, ie stick 1-2 more coats of clear or colour on dependant what finish you use. I use a small rubber pad with 1500 to knock back big orange peel and 2000 to finish, then Farcelia G3 on a foam head used with water and no pressure.

·
Registered
889 Posts
One more tip is to use a hand spray bottle to keep the surface & paper wet then you are always using clean water with no risk of picking up any shit from the bucket that could do some damage.:tup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.