Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
(_I_)
905 Posts
Yamaha SS50 (FS1E), sixteener special, nice metallic orange, baffles removed flying machine:incheek:
1976 FS1E LOO 743P - White frame Orange tank and side panels, Pre restriction full power, pedals removed, BIG Micron pipe, up jetted etc, no brakes, Ign in the side panel and keys would fall out every time you went round a corner.

Would do 60 - 65 until the micron castle nut came undone (which was about every 30 miles) then max speed about 15mph.

Got me hooked on bikes- loved every life risking minute of it!

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
Ah mopeds, well started on a used cassal k190 [ who remembers them then?] then about six months latter a brand new ktm commit cross, those were the days a new mophead for £320 on hp! the ktm was alot more than a fizzy back then but everyone had a fizzy!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I remember those fizzy's, bloody annoying little things. I used to have a Vespa Primavera 125 with a 135 Kawasaki kit and 24mm carb, Cut down with a tank welded in the middle registered as a fifty of course! Was always racing the fizzies and the RD 250's come to think of it! I loved that scoot, was a mod mobile with mirrors all over it when i first bought it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
moped

Hi mine was a brand new Suzuki TS 50 er Trial bike ported and flowed larger sprocket on the front !! (wow) and a bright yellow helmet because me dad wouldn't co sign the hp !!!!! with out it !!!!

Joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
Had a cassel k190,as i remember had to keep stopping to let my mates catch up, was quite fast for a 50cc,cut the exhaust off and moved it up to look like my mates honda 50 not a good thinking on my part burnt my leg, still was only 16 at the time
the good old days

·
Registered
695 Posts
1987 SuzuKi AP 50, 64mph flat on the tank be3 feet behind the school minibus, then a Suzuki 250 X7, then a GS750, then a GS1000, had another GS1000 a few years back just as a play thing rode it about 4 times couldn`t be bothered with it anymore still had an RM400 scambler till a wee while ago but it sat on a rolls royce of a trailer i made for it in my brothers garage for years till i sold that on .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Found an old MZ Simson 50 in a mates garden 18 years ago,undergone some changes over the years,was yellow and called Bart! now matt paint,chopped frame,tiny puch tank on it and now sporting a Kwak KH 125 motor,CR 250 expansion chamber leo vince silencer,wide bars off an old pushbike and knobblys for field fun,I love it!!
I reckon its quicker to 60 than my BMW K75 Trike!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I was one of the unlucky ones who got caught out when the moped law first came in. My schoolmate who was just a few months older got in before the law and in no time had passed his test and got a Norton Commando. What was I stuck with? A Raleigh Runabout. As the FSIE hadn't been invented then the local motorcycle dealer was rubbing his hands with glee as us local lads clambered amongst the pile of rusty forgotten mopeds in the pile out the back. Still, my best mate was even worse off than me - he was left with a Raleigh Wisp (bsically an RSW 16 pushbike with an excuse for an engine) and got overtaken going up a steep hill by a woman pushing a pram.

Another stupid Government knee-jerk reaction law - kids are getting killed on motorbikes, so lets give them a pedal powered contraption with no brakes, where they haven't got a chance in hell of accelerating or braking their way out of an accident.

·
(_I_)
905 Posts
1995 sr125 bobb / chopp thing
still in the making :) running 1995 xt125 engine, sr250 wheels, forks and wiring
hopefully once done, will go like the clappers... compared to the cheap Chinese 50cc thing i have at the moment. ;)

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3310

Nice. :tup:

Did a similar thing with a KH100 once but just for fun so bent frame and welded to rear of swing arm. Bike was so short that your feet were in front of the front axle!! Looking at yours I wish we'd done ours properly!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
1975 yamaha fsie, purple,JLO 680N, £180 brand new from motorcyclecity in
hanworth, and i want it back! :sniff:

now own a 1947 harley "45" bobber, a 1971 us import yamaha rt360 enduro,
a rotted out lambretta ld150 and the wife as a 1954 d1 bsa bantam

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was one of the unlucky ones who got caught out when the moped law first came in. My schoolmate who was just a few months older got in before the law and in no time had passed his test and got a Norton Commando. What was I stuck with? A Raleigh Runabout. As the FSIE hadn't been invented then the local motorcycle dealer was rubbing his hands with glee as us local lads clambered amongst the pile of rusty forgotten mopeds in the pile out the back. Still, my best mate was even worse off than me - he was left with a Raleigh Wisp (bsically an RSW 16 pushbike with an excuse for an engine) and got overtaken going up a steep hill by a woman pushing a pram.

Another stupid Government knee-jerk reaction law - kids are getting killed on motorbikes, so lets give them a pedal powered contraption with no brakes, where they haven't got a chance in hell of accelerating or braking their way out of an accident.
Very similar times for me Mick, the law was changed in my last year at school, the older lads had scooters which i so wanted, then the change meant waiting to be old for the moped, at the time those Puch's and Casals were about the best you could get, untill a new generation of moped was out, Garelli Tigers and Fanticmotors (6 speed i think) were the quickest around town, but two lads had the 'coolest' Fantic choppers...........

·
Registered
602 Posts
yamaha FS1E was my first bike, brownish metallic, soon became part of the front end of a mk3 cortina... then came the suzuki AP50, both were prior to the restricted engine type, for all the younger peeps out there, these bikes would exceed 45mph, not bad for mopeds eh.....

·
Banned
482 Posts

Fantic Motor for me. 6 gears, laying down on the tank through the airport tunnel to get 45 out of it....then i got really adventurous, I put a Garelli carb on it and convinced my self it was faster.......faster than what, a toaster?

Wheelies outside the Wimpy in Hayes, falling off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,848 Posts

Fantic Motor for me. 6 gears, laying down on the tank through the airport tunnel to get 45 out of it....then i got really adventurous, I put a Garelli carb on it and convinced my self it was faster.......faster than what, a toaster?

Wheelies outside the Wimpy in Hayes, falling off.
its a small world phil, ive already put in another thread our me and mates from harlington would race through the airport tunnel on fizzys etc
and i remember a couple of times racing the hayes lot from outside the wimpy.
great days
ps i bet your fantic came from abbey garage

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.