Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ladies and gents, apologies for such a newbie question, especially from a newbie, but I have searched around to try and find the answer. I bought a 56 Ford pickup project a couple of month's ago from here. Some of you may know the truck. I was told it had Mustang 2 front suspension. I have yet to find an image that verifies this. Attached are a couple of crappy images of the front suspension. I'll get some better ones today. Some of the suspension has been put on well, some of it not so well. We'll be re-doing that!!
All the Mustang 2 I have seen has double wishbones. This seems to have a funny bottom arm that has a support link that comes back to the chassis. It is 5 stud @4 1/2".
Any help, links etc muc appreciated.
Thanks in advance all and sundry.

Right, I've hqad 3 seperate attempts to upload images to this post, and the upload window just grinds to a halt.
Is it my end or the site?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I finally managed to upload them. I'm not usually a computer dullard, it would try to open the upload window and then just get the green waiting bar of doom!
So, it's deffo Mustang 2? I have yet to see an image online of a setup like this, with the stabilising link that goes backward to the chassis rail. Also, the bottom arm is a different shap/style to everthing I have seen so far? I appreciate the images aren't great.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
If it is still using the single bolt and bush on the bottom arm it requires the brace still . It should only be done away with on a 2 bolt ( U shaped) bottom arm.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it is still using the single bolt and bush on the bottom arm it requires the brace still . It should only be done away with on a 2 bolt ( U shaped) bottom arm.
I believe it still has the single bolt bottom arm and brace.This arm looks very different from almost all Mustang 2 set ups that I have seen images from, hence the confusion!What would the yanks call this bottom brace/tie rod?
Also, what year/model range would this have come from ( for ordering parts etc) thanks all for your help so far!, it's been invaluable!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
That's stock Muzzy 2 arms. Pressed steel like this.....

Links are called radius rods. Stock they go forward, on most street rod set ups they go backwards. Either is fine.

These are the strut/radius rods.....

As Kev said, to do away with thm you need to use aftermarket wishbones with wider attachment points. they also use a larger 5/8" bolt. Stock are 1/2".

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gents, thanks a bunch, that solves that! Everything I keep seeing for Mustang 2 seems to have tubular top AND bottom arms. Can that single bottom arm with the brace be converted to a tubular "A" bottom arm that does away with the radius rods?
Cheers chaps, much appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts