Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm looking for a general press for my garage to do things like ball joints brake disks and bearings. Been looking on eBay and wondered what size is best. The hardest job would be ball joints for a Vw camper and the come in 6 to 20 tonn options some are bigger but are over kill for what I will use it for?

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
IMO get the biggest that you can accomodate in your garage. You can always do small jobs on a big press, but not the other way around.

I have a 30 ton press and there are plenty of times that I've had to use all of it on rusted in kingpins, halfshafts/hubs with long tapers and the like.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
IMO get the biggest that you can accomodate in your garage. You can always do small jobs on a big press, but not the other way around.

I have a 30 ton press and there are plenty of times that I've had to use all of it on rusted in kingpins, halfshafts/hubs with long tapers and the like.
stueeee, do you use your press like the engine stand? ie adapting it to perform other things like metalforming and suchlike, if so any pics,:tup: please.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
stueeee, do you use your press like the engine stand? ie adapting it to perform other things like metalforming and suchlike, if so any pics,:tup: please.
I have a fly press here that I use for some metalforming and punching, but it only produces a couple of tons force.

I have used the hydraulic press for some simple metalforming stuff; putting angle bends in thick steel plate etc. I'll see if I can find any photos. Main issue with using the hydraulic press is that you don't get flypress type accuracy for precision work because there's the potential for a lot of float on the press mandrel.

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
I have a Clarke AHP15 (15 Ton) Workshop Floor Press, and this was the best i could afford at the time. To be honest, i thought i would need more power, but 15 tonnes is more than some think, i have done 100's of wheel bearings etc with this press and it does them all with little effort, its even got an adjustable lever rate. Its floor standing too, allowing you to do halfshaft bearings or whatever else you may have planned. Whatever you go for, they're bloody handy things to have!

Marc

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
FAO Satan...

As I said in a previous post, have done some metalforming in my press, but this is the only photo I have. It's a piece of racing car chassis which needed to have an accurate radius.

Using the press, I have put a radiused bend into some 3mm steel plate using a piece of scaffold pole as the former, but can't find a pic of it.

IMO, a hydraulic press is one of those tools that once you start using one, you wonder how you ever got by without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts