1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
I bet it smells great inside (the car not the spare tyre)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not a survivor in hot rod terms. But yes it is a mint stocker with factory extras. What is a real shame is that you've got a 60 year old car with no history, no stories, when I look at an old chevy or ford I wonder where its miles came from. Was it driven across the plains or desert, was it used to pic up girls at the drive thru. Was someones high school ride. What you've got there is a very very nice car which id love to own. But sorry there nothing cool or survivor about a car that spent 60 year in a show room or lock up

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
I have to agree with Vince , it's the history behind the miles that interests me. When I had my old Chevy truck, it had a sense of history ...of 'being' . Marian prefers unrestrored cars ( as we often use classics for dailies) rather than spotless restos and is into conservation rather than restoration.

On the other hand it nice however to be the one creating that history as well though, that even a scratchbuilt motor will one day acquire .After all , all those old hot rods were once new, and then newly modified, in the past.

·
Pinstriperist
393 Posts
Yep, no soul.

Which is exactly why it needs a damn good chopping ! And lowering, and frenched lights and a lanky striper behind the wheel with a big grin on his face !

·
Registered
777 Posts
every mile driven devalues it ....... in cash terms.......it's gona end up in a static display and being pushed on and off trailers just in case the odometer rack up the odd mile or so!

what a shame

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
If you had bought a 'stovebolt' back in the early 50's and seen the tri-chevies come on the market a few years later and forever remain the 'icons' they have become to this day - you wouldn't have bothered too much about retaining any historical information about the car and accepted that no one would probably ever be interested in your car!

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Paul is spot on. It won't ever get used but is that so bad? It's a time capsule, a reminder of the time it was bought. Harley Davidson have (or at least had, I haven't checked lately) an amazing collection of 'plucked from the production line' bikes representing most of the model line throughout their long history.
I agree with the comments about 'soul' too though. When we bought our Stude at the Carlisle swapmeet it was from a couple from Charlotte, North Carolina. Getting front suspension parts meant decoding the VIN, which revealed that it was assembled, not in South Bend Indiana but in Studebaker's assembly plant in LA. A while later I found a pencil in the rear well of the trunk embossed with 'St Michael's Elementary School, Stanton, Texas'. I have no idea how it got to NC but it is cool to have unravelled a little of its history, which reminds me, I must send off the cash to the Studebaker Drivers' Club who retain all the factory records. They can send me a copy of the production line build sheet and if I'm lucky, details of which dealership it was delivered to.

·
My name is Martin
2,613 Posts
My Thunderbird was reg'd here in '94. The bloke I got it from told me it had come from New Zealand, which I took with a pinch of salt. Some time later on I had to remove the centre console and I found a bunch of NZ coins in there. They were dated 70's. It would be cool to know when it went to NZ and then oddly come over here many years later. Guess I can say it's been around the world lol

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,093 Posts
Same as my old '41 Chevy truck, rhd as standard and told it came from NZ.

I didn't find any coins as it had been through quite a few hands over here before me but...I went to vist a friend locally who imported a lwb Chevy truck, his neighbour over the road said " My Dad used to have RHD one of those " and produded a photo..which my mate copied for me ..and it only turns out to be my truck some 20 odd years ago when it was local the last time, even still got the same holes in the wing and dent in the grille...plus of course the original NZ plate stuck on the front.!

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
While I belive that cars are for driving and old cars gain thier soul from use, It's good that there's a few genuine factory fresh originals out there. Anyone who wants to see how they were built back in the day can use this as an example, which no restoration can truly replicate.
There's plenty of used examples in every condition from knakered to patina'd to concours resto to kustom but as sombody once said "it's only original once."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts