Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris Evans has bought this car thru RM Auctions for a reported $25,000,000. Thats 25 million dollars. I'm thinking he could have bought 1,000 good Tri Chevys for that money.

·
Fruit & Nut Case
2,100 Posts
I seem to remember many years ago when he was last sacked (i think from Virgin) he said (near enough)" we have so much money i never have to work again, and if i do it will all go to charity" Any one else remember that, or is it just me.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
250 GTO. They've always been silly money. But I'm not sure even Chris Evans could afford to wreck one of those at today's prices.

·
Registered
778 Posts
$25million :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Are you sure it wasn't $2.5million :beuj:

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
It is a stunningly beautiful car though....

·
1,143 Posts
let's hope he doesn't re-spray it white like all his others. At least he won't lose any money on it which is a great comfort lol.

·
1,143 Posts
Hi Plump yeah was going to say better on the road than up the nose - but either way it would be safe to say he has an addictive/obsessive/compulsive character

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
His money, his choice...

...our licence fee?

And white is not a colour to paint a Ferrari unless you are planning to hire them out for weddings. :puke:

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
great looking motor, but $25m ? it aint that great looking!
At that price point it's not about the car any more....
It's about 'What can I resell it for'
That's where a whole load of people got stung when the classic car bubble burst back in the '90s.
On day thay had a Mk2 Jag that they'd bought for 50-60k, the next it was worh half that.
That's the issue when you're buying as a speculator, not a petrolhead.

I used to work with a guy who traded in build options.
He would buy an option on something like a Testarossa, pay the deposit and then look to sell the option on at a vastly inflated price to a queue jumper.

That way he never had to have the money to buy the car itself, just enough for whatever deposit the dealer wanted for the option.

He got caught out with an F40, because he couldn't sell on after a big dip in the stock market and ended up having to remortgage his flat to take delivery of the car.

·
Care in the Community
2,752 Posts
At that price point it's not about the car any more....
It's about 'What can I resell it for'

That's where a whole load of people got stung when the classic car bubble burst back in the '90s.
On day thay had a Mk2 Jag that they'd bought for 50-60k, the next it was worh half that.
That's the issue when you're buying as a speculator, not a petrolhead.
I don't think you could be more wrong.
Chris Evans is a total petrolhead, he's just into more exotic (and therefore more expensive) cars than we are, namely vintage Ferraris.
True, they are bought as an investment, but he also drives and enjoys them.

·
Mr Invisible
1,510 Posts
I don't think you could be more wrong.
Chris Evans is a total petrolhead, he's just into more exotic (and therefore more expensive) cars than we are, namely vintage Ferraris.
True, they are bought as an investment, but he also drives and enjoys them.
Granted, Chris Evans is the exception to the rule, along with people like JayKay and Jay Leno.
I was generalising....

It's the same in the art world, some buy from a love of the art, but most buy for the investment.

·
Registered
332 Posts
He sold 3 Ferrari's from his collection to pay for his dream car, so it was a just a part ex really :D

He collects them and enjoys driving them and lets other people drive them, so good for him :tup:

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Lovely piece of work that, even though it's not my favourite Ferrari (250 GT Lusso probably if you really want to know) and I'm glad it's gone to someone who will drive it occasionally.
As far as the price goes it's hard to believe that any car can actually be worth £25 million. at that kind of level of classic car the price is way beyond the value of the actual vehicle in question and becomes an indication of how desirable it is.
To say this is just a car is like saying a Van Gough is just some oil paint and canvas.

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Saw him on TopGear and apparently has 12 vintage Ferrari's lined up in a huge heated garage. Definatly a car nut and not such a twat as i thought he was. If i'd got his money it would be no different, just shit loads of rods, customs and bikes.

Dan;)

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Saw him on TopGear and apparently has 12 vintage Ferrari's lined up in a huge heated garage. Definatly a car nut and not such a twat as i thought he was. If i'd got his money it would be no different, just shit loads of rods, customs and bikes.

Dan;)
:twisted::yeahthat::twisted:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts