Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1741 - 1752 of 1752 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Beautiful work!!

I find trimming an art and so joyful to watch, I sometimes spend quite a bit of time just watching youtube videos of people doing this.
Last year, when the first lockdown happened I decided to give this a go, bought a walking foot industrial machine and dived straight into it, my first project was a seat on a pw80 (learned lots just on that little piece), then moved straight to the door cards on my 74 econoline and then done the seats!
I think I got the seats done during easter break last year.
it's hard work, but very satisfying when you sit your ass on something you made from scratch.

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,742 ·
man ................. youve got to be pleased with that ? great job , dont take this the wrong way but recently had a guy working for me and he had been a trimmer for the past 30 years and his work didnt look as good as that !!!!!!! he didnt last long !!!!!!!!!!!!! i take you have subscribed to gabes weekly videos on youtube ???????? if you have look out for my stickers in background and adrian wearing my trimshop T shirt (y)

·
Registered
533 Posts
man ................. youve got to be pleased with that ? great job , dont take this the wrong way but recently had a guy working for me and he had been a trimmer for the past 30 years and his work didnt look as good as that !!!!!!! he didnt last long !!!!!!!!!!!!! i take you have subscribed to gabes weekly videos on youtube ???????? if you have look out for my stickers in background and adrian wearing my trimshop T shirt (y)
Thank you!
Yes considering was the first go I was pretty pleased with it, could be better in places but for a first time I was real happy with it.
Have had mates asking me to do their seats and doors but I struggle with time so don't like to commit to anything, plus I'm a perfectionist and anything I do I never think is good enough to sell.

I don't have that one on my YouTube, but will search,

I mainly watched videos from Mexican guys in the US and 2 others that I can't remember the name where they explained stuff really well, (I know Spanish so was OK to understand them)

·
stitchmeister
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,744 ·
probably meca upholstery or cechaflo gabes custom interiors is no bullshit but real stuff with real banter , and even gabe leaves on camera the mistakes he makes like we all do in the real world .totally real when a family business with gabe and his 3 sons and his brother

·
Registered
533 Posts
probably meca upholstery or cechaflo gabes custom interiors is no bullshit but real stuff with real banter , and even gabe leaves on camera the mistakes he makes like we all do in the real world .totally real when a family business with gabe and his 3 sons and his brother
That's the ones!!!
Meca and Cechaflo!

One thing I learned very quickly with my machine, and after watching their videos, was that I had to change the clutch motor for a servo motor, I had zero change of a controlled start with the clutch motor.
I wish I had more time to do more trimming as I really enjoyed it. My next one will eventually be when I need to get the king and queen seat for my Panhead chop done.

·
stitchmeister
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,746 ·
funny thing is the last 2 new machines i bought had the modern servo motors and i changed the motors for big noisy old school clutch motors as i find i have more control with them !!! just what ive always had and learnt with

·
Registered
533 Posts
funny thing is the last 2 new machines i bought had the modern servo motors and i changed the motors for big noisy old school clutch motors as i find i have more control with them !!! just what ive always had and learnt with
Really!?!
I tried all kinds of adjustment on my clutch motor, after all, it's a clutch! But I could not get it to go slow right at the start... It woukd just go go go, once it was going I could control it slowly, but the start was never going to happen.
Once I put the servo on it the difference was like from night to day.

I see some videos where they can get te speed like super slow, stitch by stitch and even stopping the needle halfway and slowly come down, I can't do that, impossible. And I've tried haha they must have some gizmo for sure?

·
stitchmeister
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,748 ·
just experience i guess , i dont notice i do it but i always give the pedal a quick tap on then off then evenly on again and i can just let it flow slowly ............... i couldnt teach it its just happens !!!!!!!!

·
stitchmeister
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,749 ·
diner seating installed with resin covered 7" vinyls

1741 - 1752 of 1752 Posts