Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the difference between pearlescent and metalflake in the paint, someone said its the size of the pigment and metalflake is more finer,any pics would not go amiss to explain.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Your bang on:tup:
When pearl paint was first introduced, it did have remnants of real crushed pearl in it..
Not sure thats the case anymore though..
No doubt some one will disagree..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just re- read your post..heres a flake pic for ya..it might show up..(sparkle that is..give you an idea)
Its holographic mirror black flake on a moggy i painted the roof on a few years back..
The flake comes in dry /powder form, that you add to clear coat..spray on as you would with a normal gun..
add more clear coats once you get the coverage you want from the flake, then add more clear only, until its under a skin,no flake sticking out of the clear..
If you know what i mean..lol..

Adam.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
I always thought pearl paint originally had fish scales in it, then the industry found a better [cheaper] way of getting the same effect.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sounds possable..rings a bell..cant imagine how that would come out the gun though..maybe dried and ground down to power??...would have the same affect a the pearl i would think..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts