Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upgrading my Jago Jeep / Willys lookalike. It is fitted with a 1600 crossflow engine which was fitted with the inlet and exhaust manifolds off an 1300 crossflow engine. Fitting a 4 branch exhaust and a twinchoke manifold with a Weber twinchoke off a VW Golf. The original mechanical petrol pump was quite weak and used to siphon back when left standing which meant lots of cranking over before it fired up so I have bought a Facet electronic petrol pump which has to be mounted no more than 12" above than the bottom of the petrol tank. I am not sure wether to mount it by the tank or in in the engine bay, does it matter ?

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
By the tank less draw from tank,and if you notice most production cars the pump close to the or in the tank .

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what I was thinking, rubber mounts bolted to the hefty chassis and run a new line and filter straight to the carb. You are only just down the road from me then as I live at Donnington in Telford.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,193 Posts
I used to think the fuel drained back as always a bugger to start after laying around for awhile. In my case was actually light ends of fuel evaporating in the float chamber. You had to crank and squirt until you drew fresh from the tank that still had light ends available. Electric pump still solves this problem.

Also ther is an actual difference between standard and GT mechanical pumps 3psi std , 5 psi GT . Usually shows up when you floor it and pump can't keep up with demand from weber.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts