Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got the money together for heads and a cam for the 302 in a falcon.
I havnt decided on which heads though...I'd like edelbrock performer rpm but am also considering the cheaper E street. Is the extra money for the performer rpm worth it?
Cam will be a comp cam xe 284h I think.
It's a 4 speed manual.

·
Welding Guru
806 Posts
The e streets have issues with the springs breaking and sorting them puts you in the price range of the performer.
Just look up e street valve spring breaking on the net and read away.
I have e streets and wish i had stretched to buy the performers.

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
with the cam you're looking at it may also be worth looking at performer rpm heads instead of the performer ones. here's the difference on the edelbrock website so you can see the specs of each.
neil.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks @weldtech and @mygasser , that decides it for me then. I hadnt heard of the spring issue but i dont need that potential issue.

Im having a few worries about breaking the cam in, mainly due to reading lots where people "say" theyve done it as per the instructions but still are having cams go flat.

Some are saying the materials that are used for manufacturing the parts arent upto scratch and its pot luck as to whether you end up with a reliable product.

Im not sure i believe the last opinion and am hoping that by buying supposedly quality parts from comp cams and edelbrock and following the correct procedure will have good results.

Any tips/views on this?

·
Stroker
5,488 Posts
I had Performer heads on a SBC and think they are an improvement what with being Ali. But in the end wished I had the extra flow of the rpms. I also had an Extreme Energy cam and runs real strong. Noisey bugger though.
NEVER cheap out on oil and should be fine.
I went anal on run in... Hot water in block, warmed up oil in hot water buckets and a fan heater. Primed oil till I could see it up top.
Can you get roller cam upgrades or are [email protected] ok anyhoo!?
Roller cam was another upgrade I wished I'd sprung for at build time. Lol

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Phoned Real Steel and looked on summit etc and typically it seems everywhere is out of stock of the performer RPMs. Real Steel said its due to Edelbrock moving factories, they are getting some E street heads, but ive gone off of using them now. He also said id have to tame the cam right down to use the E street heads.:(

·
Welding Guru
806 Posts
Yes, e street dont like high lift cams. As for cam break in, good advice in earlier posts, use a good cam assembly lube and lots of it, prime the motor with a extension hex drive onto the oil pump amd electric drill through the dizzy drive. When you start it get it above 2500 rpm and hold it for 20mins, i was advised to keep the revs up early in the break in to reduce the contact time and the potential for any pick up on the cam lobes. Seems to work as lots of buiders like to get the revs up early. This also helps to slightly case harden the lobe surface due to localised heat at the higher revs.

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
the main reason for the higher revs initially is that cam lobes on most all v8's are lubed by oil being flung off of the crank so it needs to spin fast to keep it lubed while the lobes and lifters work harden together. once done any time spent idling with reduced oil splashing onto the cam isn't as much of an issue.
neil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts