Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a four barrel holley here and a rover v8 3.5 (i think) I'm asking if any one can help me work out which carb i have
and what rover v8 i have here or can point me in the right direction
thanks noddy

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Engine number starting 4810.... means it's from a Rover P6, 3.5, with 10.5:1 compression - 1967-1976.

Actually year of engine could be cast into the rear of the block, at the top in the middle. It is on mine.

Holley part number, 8007, relates to the 390cfm four barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
The spark plugs on the 10.5 comp engine only have a short thread in the heads so be careful not to strip the threads when tightening the plugs....The exhaust ports are also quite restrictive - you can put later heads on with bigger valves.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much and i have been looking every where for this info (obviously not in the right places)
but i have had a look at some pics of the 390cfm carb and its different from mine the bit i have boxed the top pic being mine

also I'm thinking about getting a set of 3.9 pistons and the head of a 3.9 like you said for the bigger valves
(i know it will need boring for this. But does this sound like a good idea or am i just dreaming sat here with my tea)
right at this moment in time i have so much going round in my head and thinking i want to do that and this lol

thanks
noddy

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,342 Posts
The spark plugs on the 10.5 comp engine only have a short thread in the heads so be careful not to strip the threads when tightening the plugs....The exhaust ports are also quite restrictive - you can put later heads on with bigger valves.
Different heat range as well , and 2 types fitted to the P6 lump to cure a misfire but I can never remember which is which :down: Think it's L92Y cures the misfire and th original plug is an L88Y. Anyway SD1 etc heads use a RN9Y .

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
i thought it was a manual choke and i got told it it was is there any way of changing it to a electronic choke
Rimmer Bros stock the electric choke parts, as I'm sure other Holley carb dealers do..possibly find them on eBay too.

Search the Rimmer Bros website, its their part number QJ130880S

Don't know if that's just replacement parts or if it will convert a manual one though.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
also I'm thinking about getting a set of 3.9 pistons and the head of a 3.9 like you said for the bigger valves
(i know it will need boring for this. But does this sound like a good idea or am i just dreaming sat here with my tea)
SD1 or 3.9 heads will give you bigger valves and marginally better ports, and so a useful power increase coupled with the 10.5:1 pistons.

But to get one of these P6 blocks out to 3.9 will require the existing sleeves to be bored out and new ones pressed in. Along with new pistons, this will be excruciatingly expensive, and you will still have the issue of the P6 block being less rigid than a factory 3.9. This block used the so-called "Vitesse" casting as a basis. In short, a good-to-go 3.9 motor will be less expensive than upgrading what you have.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.