Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
stitchmeister
twin turbo LS 59 chevy apache
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a customer that wants to do something that is a bit bonkers and i will be getting the trim job but he wants to find someone who is capable of building a complete one off domed clear roof !!!!!!!!!! anyone know who would be up for the missions if its even possible !!:beuj:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bubble tops have been done alot, they are made by heating then blown into shape, try fibresports in basildon

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Oooh, on the car that you sent me the photo of the other day...???

That'd be cool...!!!

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
It can be done but it won't be cheap. I can use trade suppliers (I manage a sign company) and I'll happily get you a quote if you pm me with the overall dimensions. If you are looking at a 'Batmobilesque' double hump but as a one piece moulding, it will need a one off buck to form the material over. Do NOT be baffled by whoever you choose to use. Perspex and Plexiglass are brand names NOT a material per se. (Have I said this before, ad nauseam?} Perspex and Plexiglass and Lexan for that matter (and a few other brands as well) are normally available in acrylic or polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is more expensive but it is what you really need to use, especially if the car will ever be driven. You also need to consider having the material coated, any acrylic or polycarbonate will scratch as soon as you look at it with a sponge and chamois (think bus shelters here and you will see what I mean).

Not a problem by any means but you need to know what you are ordering. Send me a pm if you need any more info. Some of the better fabricators tend to be trade only so if that's an issue, I'm happy to help.

·
stitchmeister
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
no its not for that car ......but supprised that it hasnt been done in the aircooled seen as everything has been done :S
Oooh, on the car that you sent me the photo of the other day...???

That'd be cool...!!!

·
stitchmeister
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It can be done but it won't be cheap. I can use trade suppliers (I manage a sign company) and I'll happily get you a quote if you pm me with the overall dimensions. If you are looking at a 'Batmobilesque' double hump but as a one piece moulding, it will need a one off buck to form the material over. Do NOT be baffled by whoever you choose to use. Perspex and Plexiglass are brand names NOT a material per se. (Have I said this before, ad nauseam?} Perspex and Plexiglass and Lexan for that matter (and a few other brands as well) are normally available in acrylic or polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is more expensive but it is what you really need to use, especially if the car will ever be driven. You also need to consider having the material coated, any acrylic or polycarbonate will scratch as soon as you look at it with a sponge and chamois (think bus shelters here and you will see what I mean).

Not a problem by any means but you need to know what you are ordering. Send me a pm if you need any more info. Some of the better fabricators tend to be trade only so if that's an issue, I'm happy to help.
thats a great help thanks ..... not sure if the geezer wants me to tell the word about it yet so wont tell you what it is but it will be doing ferrari type speeds !!!!!! i will get him to contact you direct if he hasnt sorted anything else .:tup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts