Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on the Trad Speed and Kustom forum some great tales of rodding and racing in So-Cal in the early Sixties by a guy called Dean Lowe who is a member there. Dean used to race a '28-29 Model A Roadster Pick-up in B/SR with a very quick Corvette motor and competed at the early Winternationals events, as well as driving the rod to high school every day.

In 1998, Dean having sold the rod many years before, he was offered it back by Bruce Geisler but by the time he got back to him it was apparently already loaded into a container bound for England. Seeing as steel Roadster Pick-ups aren't exactly common over here, who owns it?
It was red when sold, was this the one bought by Steve Fletcher or another one?

I'd like to track it down and get some pics of it if possible.

Anyone?

L.P.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've been reading on the Trad Speed and Kustom forum some great tales of rodding and racing in So-Cal in the early Sixties by a guy called Dean Lowe who is a member there. Dean used to race a '28-29 Model A Roadster Pick-up in B/SR with a very quick Corvette motor and competed at the early Winternationals events, as well as driving the rod to high school every day.

In 1998, Dean having sold the rod many years before, he was offered it back by Bruce Geisler but by the time he got back to him it was apparently already loaded into a container bound for England. Seeing as steel Roadster Pick-ups aren't exactly common over here, who owns it?
It was red when sold, was this the one bought by Steve Fletcher or another one?

I'd like to track it down and get some pics of it if possible.

Anyone?

L.P.
the red one Steve had had a blown sbc in it and was obviously an "old" rod...and apparently a very scary ride to say the least...I think Carl Powes now has it and had re-done it in black with a pinto in.....and it was at Drayton Manor today!!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Did this truck ever have white pinstriping?The reason I ask is that mine came to the U.K. about that time,whether it was a complete car or not I don't know.I got it from a mate who got it as a bare body from John Reid.The back of the body is still in red with the remnants of '60's style striping around the top of the body .Cheers,Mark.

·
Premium Member
5,807 Posts
Keith,

It's owned by Steve Hill in Brighton. I suspect the restoration may well start soon as Steve has more or less finished building his Deco styled workshop, built to match the house. He is well aware of the car's historic significance. Last time I spoke to him about it, it looked as if he was swaying on the side of a restoration along the lines of its Hot Rod feature but who knows?
He's still got his 54 Chevy to recommission too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts