Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some new points a few months ago cos the oldd ones had gone white....and bugger me, the new ones have done the same. I know that if your points go blue its because the condenser has packed up....but what causes white?

Russ

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
its ozone buildup, ozone is an oxidizer, carefully drill a small hole [around 3/16" to an 1/8" in the cap glue a fitting in the hole making sure it doesn't protrude inside the cap and run a suitable pipe to the carb neck or even a ported vacuum source. :tup: that will stop the buildup.

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its ozone buildup, ozone is an oxidizer, carefully drill a small hole [around 3/16" to an 1/8" in the cap glue a fitting in the hole making sure it doesn't protrude inside the cap and run a suitable pipe to the carb neck or even a ported vacuum source. :tup: that will stop the buildup.
I read all the words.....but that's as far as it got.....nothing sank in.
So....in dipstick terms (thats me), I need to get any moisture out of the cap to keep it perfectly dry? And connect it to somewhere that sucks? I've got an old pipe where the vacuum wipers used to go (I think its that..no idea if it was originally fitted with vacuum wipers)
can i fit i to there. can post pics if that helps

Russ

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
I read all the words.....but that's as far as it got.....nothing sank in.
So....in dipstick terms (thats me), I need to get any moisture out of the cap to keep it perfectly dry? And connect it to somewhere that sucks? I've got an old pipe where the vacuum wipers used to go (I think its that..no idea if it was originally fitted with vacuum wipers)
can i fit i to there. can post pics if that helps

Russ
yep thats more or less it, just dont use too big a pipe or you'll weaken the mixture too much, used to get this a lot on off-road vehicles due to wading through rivers and the like, ozone however is formed by the constant arcing of the points and rotor, this and the damp in the air is accelerating the oxidization. ozone gas burns pretty good too and will help combustion.

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Thanks for that chaps. Will this this pipe do? The one off the manifold..
yep that'll do fine, but reduce the size, a piece of copper brake pipe looks like it could be ideal. if thats a brass fitting solder it it place then use an ordinary vacuum line like the one going to the advance /retard can on the distributor.:tup:

·
Registered
892 Posts
Personaly I recon it is because points are the spawn of the devil, they burn, corrode, and start going wrong from the moment you get them right!
the only way I have ever found to prevent them causing trouble has been to fit electronic ignition!

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts
Personaly I recon it is because points are the spawn of the devil, they burn, corrode, and start going wrong from the moment you get them right!
the only way I have ever found to prevent them causing trouble has been to fit electronic ignition!
yep, i agree:incheek: and ozone gas forms in those too. the way to eradicate it completely is coil on plug,[no distributor]

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Be careful of the vacuum pipe reply. If the seal on the cap is good, the dizzy builds up a vacuum and on stopping , can draw a small amount of mixture into the dizzy. Seen this happen on many a cavalier when the vacuum advance fails- it blows the distributor cap clean off and sometimes in two.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Think i'm gonna fit new points and condenser......have a good lok for cracks or where moisture can get in and spay a little wd40 for good measure...
Dont fancy drilling holes, although an eletrikery dizzy would be the ulttimate! Got enough to do at the mo....like fit the camera axle i've bought....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.