Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Why some folks deserve the title of "prick"

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  dutchrod 
#1 ·
For a variety of reasons I decided to sell the Chevy, within 24 hours of EBay I had had several enquiries, one wanted to view it the same day,made arrangements & he came over with his family to view (he lives 2 hours away). After an hours looking & talking he announces that he's interested but is waiting for some money to come through (mortgage for building work) and he plans to finance a car through that. Should have had the money weeks ago but due to a variety of solicitor cock-ups, it was eventually going into his bank this week.

If he gave me a £100 deposit (cheque) would I keep the car for a week so that it gave him time to sort out the money & arrange collection? No problems says I. ANother natter, shake of hands & a £100 deposit & he leaves. I get a phone call 3 hours later, his solicitor has rang & the money is now sorted & in his bank account. Result! He'd ring me Thursday (yesterday) or today to firm up a collection date. Next day I arranged with a mate to finish off the building work on the house (using some of the Chevy money). As my bank is 12 miles away I was going to pay in the deposit cheque on Monday morning.

Phone didn't ring yesterday so I rang him about half an hour ago. Totally different tune. "I can't go through with the purchase, I've decided to plough all of the money into my building project so I'll look for a car later in the year. And by the way, I've stopped the cheque I gave you as a deposit.

Wanker.:wanker:

It was bad enough having to sell the car, but being dicked around like this is taking the piss. I hope his bollocks turn sceptic & fall off in the night.

I've now got to re-list on EBay (another £12 fee), this time I'm not ending it early for anyone unless they put cash in my hand first.

I always thought I was too trusting, now I know I am! And I hate the Chevy just that bit more now, I swear I can hear it laughing at me......

See less See more
#2 ·
That is why I hate selling cars :shake:

Don't forget of course that paying you half of what it is worth also entitles them to a full 12 YEARS anti corrosion and mechanical failure warranty . I exaggerate of course though one of my cars later owners ( not the guy I sold it to) was whinging that a 45 years old car , that I restored 10 years before, actually had some rust coming through again...NO SHIT SHERLOCK :wanker:

I learnt my lesson re selling many moons ago ( I was 18 THAT'S how long ago it was :eek: ) when a bloke promised to buy a Mk3 Zodiac I had, didn't leave a deposit but told me it was definite. 2 days later I had pound notes waved under my nose by someone else and turned it down as I wanted to stick to my word. After 3 months of being dicked about by the first guy I realised it simply wasn't going to happen :(

#4 ·
got his phone number Gary? a mate of mine can do wonders with just a phone number

#8 ·
I feel for ya mate, but even when the car's sold it can turn into a pain in the arse as Kev says. My first American car, which I had for years and years, got sold, 3 years on the bloke was still ringing me and saying he'd found xyz that needed doing!!!!! In 20 years of owning it, all that broke was the starter motor at Hemsby and it did the water pump on the way to Hayling (thanks for the water Steiny !!!), it was quite a good car to be honest!! But no, obviously not. Gonna keep all mine forever in future ..........

#9 ·
When I sold first custom ( a Consul Capri strangely:tup: ) the guy blew it up two days later . Told me he'd shifted up to 3rd at max revs and the wheels had just locked up . I went to see it and he'd managed to shift from 2nd into FIRST at full revs resulting in the big ends disappearing ,all that remained was what looked like Bacofoil in the sump .

I told him he was a prick and not fit to own such a 'fine piece of machinery ' and told him I'd give him his money back. He didn't want to he just wanted me to time his engine when his Dad had rebuilt it :confused:

Several weeks later I went to time it and had to use a 4 foot bar to turn it over. I told him it wouldn't work and sure enough it broke again 2 weeks later ( hardly surprising as they had to keep towing it to start it as it was so tight ) . One new Ford exchange engine later and he was back on the road.

9 months later I got a phone call to say " Bad news Kev, your car has just failed the MOT " I told him , " Nope ,bad news YOUR car has just failed the MOT ". He'd taken a custom based on a 12 year old car to a Ford main dealer!!

I tried to buy it back through a 3rd party to put it back on the road as he was going to break it but no joy

#12 · (Edited)
Totally agree!!!
Had a real bad experience with a total PRICK!! on E bay!!
He wanted to take my car before the cheque had cleared!!!
When i said no he tried to turn the table and say i was dishonest because i didnt trust him!!! His reasoning was he was a dealer with a big car showroom and a flashy web site! so he must be on the straight and narrow? right?
Tried complaining to the faceless knobs that is E bay but of course they dont wanna know cuz they already had my money!!:mad:
I know hindsight is a great thing but maybe if youd asked for the deposit in cash instead of a cheque then you may have ended up with the pricks 100 quid cash then you could have taken great pleasure of telling him to "fuck off you time wasting prick" when he dared asking for his deposit back!! just a thought:lol:

#11 ·
Oh crap, I really, really wished I hadn't read this thread as I've just put a car on ebay for the first time today.:shake:

Anyone want to buy a 10 year old 2.5 turbo 4wd Volvo est??? No, I thought perhaps not......Oh well, lets see what happens on the bay of e!:tdown:

#13 ·
I just had a similar thing yesterday, (see rants thread).
Bastard never even turned up or phoned to say why, and we gave him extra 5 days to collect the car.

At least I should be able to get my listing refund, and start again......

I think maybe a good idea is to take a PP deposit, say £20.00 and then they pay the rest when the deal is done. Hopefully that should weed out tyrekickers and knobheads.

If you get a cheque for anything, pay it into your bank while the ink's still wet!!!!

#14 ·
during the sale of my Thames I have had several definates, several just got to get the money, two no shows, and some test drivers! most said they I'll ring you and never do!

Happily its now sold to the first man who ever showed interest and has been saving his money to have it.

#16 ·
I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge than me could verify this, but my understanding is even a cash deposit doesn't secure a deal, and the buyer is within his rights to ask for it back if he doesn't complete. Having said that, it'd be a complicated legal process that only a total prick with extra added prickness would follow through with...

To be honest though, personally I've always found most people to be pretty decent when I've been selling or buying stuff. I guess I've just been lucky?

(But then maybe it helps living up't north...??? Us straight Lanky folks call a spade a shovel... :shake: Tee Hee... :D )

#17 ·
Had one this morning......

The guy hits buy it now on my motorcycle trailer at 05:52, yes 5.52 in the morning!!
He then emails me at 5.54 to tell me hes leaving at 7am to collect the trailer!

You can imagine my shock when i stumble out of bed at 9.15!

He seemed like a real tyre kicker, so i knew what was coming.....Buy it now was £140, and yes the russian fella wants to haggle with me on price....i let it go for £130 just to get rid of the guy!!

#18 ·
I sold some Zephyr parts to a guy at the Hayride last week and i let him take
the goods without the check clearing :eek:
I didnt know the fella but i new his car well enough so i thought fuck if it did go pear shaped id soon catch up with him at a show.
Most people i have dealt with have been on here and have been a top bunch people.
I cant be botherd with Ebay as stated by most to many :wanker:

#19 ·
heh, that's why i never "sell" cars. i build a car, drive it and if some bloke says he wants to buy he can. that is, on the spot, cash and no: i will pick up next week bs talk. if the buyer wants the car, he wil have the cash. :incheek:
sold quite alot of cars just like that, never had whiners, never had problems. if car is not completly done, like no paint or interior, i will tell and show it to buyer. they can see the car, drive it, check pics i made during resto or rebuilt and that should be enough to close the deal. i will not hold a car just on word of a eventual buyer.
one of my motto's: in god we trust, every one else pays cash :lol:
pascal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.