Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question here for the paint and body guys.

I've been watching various US car shows over the years and always see these guys spread bondo over the whole car. I understand the reasoning behind it but always wondered why the don't spray the car with a couple of 3 coats of high build primer.

Only reason I ask is I've just been prepping a tank and used high build primer as ever.The thought of having laid bondo over the whole tank and having to level it wouldn't have entered my head and glad it didn't.

Over to you guys....................

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Its also cheaper to use filler than laying down lots of coats of primer.
I thought about that but how much longer does it take to prep? By the time you've paid someone to lay to bondo, shape it, block it etc, would it not be cheaper if not labour wise to do it? High build lays flat(ish) so way less blocking I'd thought.

Just curious really as I'd always be led to believe that a seriously nice paintjob was always done through untold layers of paint being wet sanded down between coats. So you're flatting down paint rather than bondo.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
The bondo you see on TV is like Dolphin Glaze and spreads easily as its quite runny meaning easier flatting. Its also quicker as one skim is probably equivalent to six coats of hi-build and all the waiting for drying between each coat.

·
Woodchipper Extraordinair
2,305 Posts
You can pull and push filler around to fill low spots where as high build will fill low spots but take longer (more material needed)

The key to a seriously nice paint job, is very meticulous prep followed by very meticulous paint application and very meticulous flatting and polishing

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,131 Posts
You can pull and push filler around to fill low spots where as high build will fill low spots but take longer (more material needed)

The key to a seriously nice paint job, is very meticulous prep followed by very meticulous paint application and very meticulous flatting and polishing
...and only using a good quality 4" brush , loose hairs are a pain ;)

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
When you THINK you've finished the prep leave it for a week then push thecar into the daylight. Start at the front and work backwards and use a pencil to circle all the little, seemingly irrelevant little bits you've missed and restart the prep process.

Repeat all the above as many times as it takes. I'm on the second pass at the minute & still finding bits!

·
Nowheresville
3,050 Posts
Bondo is probably also better (quicker!) at bridging holes, hiding pop-riveted panels, and filling great hollows that seem quite common on "restorations". I've been half looking for another car, but every time I see the word "restored" I think of some of the horrors that have been found under shining top surfaces over here.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Wonder how those cars that are covered in a skim of filler stand the test of time in all weathers as the metal expands and contracts at different temp.
The roof on my truck was badly dented and pitted , that got the skim treatment and cracked after a few years but it was never garaged and used all year round

1 - 11 of 11 Posts