Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after some advise if possible.

Our pc's at home currently run XP and I am happy ith this. I know my way around this system enough to solve any little niggles that may arise.

My laptop though is about to die, and needs to do file check every time it starts up. It is about 8 years old so I think its life is coming to an end.

If I buy a new laptop, should I stick with XP or move to Windows 7?

I have never used W7 so dont know if its any good.

What are your opinions?

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
i have had xp at both home and work for ages and i like it, i was recently given a new computer at work (first one the company has with 7) and i must say it is good. im typing this on my new pc (got it today) its on 7 and so far it works well and hasnt taken too long to get my head round. it has got a lot of cool features if your into gimiks but im not so i will just use the normal stuff, it is however a lot faster than my old pc using xp pro. ask me again in a couple of weeks and i can give a better evaluation

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
windows 7 is great (forget vista as its crap) only problem is that some of my old programs dont work on it, so when I want to update my website, I have the use my old XP laptop

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm happy with xp, the only thing that annoys me is explorer 8. it doesn't always show the page even when you've just booted up. right pain, but no probs when using firefox.
hello cunningplan and dan

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, looks like its worth trying W7, we missed the Vista atrocity (just) and never used the upgrade facility we had.
I guess it cant be that much different and google should help overcome oddities I stumble upon..

Next thing is which Laptop to go for.
Probably have another Toshiba as the last one had been good until recently.
All backed up last night so I hopefully wont lose any info (this time!)

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
< Next thing is which Laptop to go for. >

I know they are a bit more money but forget getting another PC and get a MAC. I got converted to MAC's about five years ago. Best thing I ever done, so much more simple to use and no friggin' 'Windows' to deal with !!!
And I have to say that having had to use a PC a few times since I wonder know how I ever managed. I find PC's and ANY 'Windows' versions a pain in the ass to use.

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
Tip............... look at pc world web site for referbished laptops, i bought a new advent ert2250 after just a few weeks my son droped his laptop and we had to buy a new one with the insurance money so looked at these referbished ones and bought him the same lap top as mine for half the price i had just paid!!!!!! when it came we gave it a good look over and there was no way you could tell it was referbished.....not a finger print in sight and boxed up with all the same gear as mine, both have never missed a beat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
someone i know ain't that keen on dell mainly coz you can't upgrade or get them repaired easily because the components are made for dell which means if a power unit or summat goes up the creek you can't just go and by a replacement.
seems i've a problem with me broadband modem got someone coming round on friday

·
www.53catalina.co.uk
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i,ve used a reg cleaner before, but not one which repairs the pc.
The old laptop is 8 years old, has 30 Gig Hard drive memory (nearly full) and had severe problems a couple of years ago which resulted in a complete reformat (twice) to get it back on track.
The sound card no longer works, Youtube vids rarely play, and the fan is very noisy. Other than that, its has been great and served its pupose well.

Hence I do think a new one is the best option.
I have found a good Toshiba one which get a £30 discount of bought online, and a further 5% by using vouchercodes.co.uk. So about £50 saving and free delivery.
PC World were offering "upto" £100 discount if I traded in the old one in store, but this actually turned out to be £30 when they took down the details. I would prefer to keep the old one anyway just in case I missed something when backing up data.

Guess I will also need to buy Office 2007 to go with the new laptop too as 2003 probably wont work with the new operating system.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
someone i know ain't that keen on dell mainly coz you can't upgrade or get them repaired easily because the components are made for dell which means if a power unit or summat goes up the creek you can't just go and by a replacement.
Sorry mate but 100% bullshit. Tell your mate to stop talking out of his arse ;)

Pretty much any laptop is built from specifically manufactured parts (excluding disk and RAM) so you'll always need laptop specific replacement parts should things break.

The Dell spares are widely available as are a number of refurbed bits and aftermarket like for likes. Just the same as any other company.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Before you go for a reload or a new laptop, check out the following. It may solve all your computer's problems for less than an upgrade: http://www.pcdocpro.com/
Also be wary of these types of programs. As good as they sound you're basically saying yep, fix whatever you want even if it's not broke. Some turn out good, others turn into horror stories :tdown:

Rather that running one of those programs you're far better off by backing up your data and going for a wipe/reinstall. These apps will try and clean up 'broken' stuff but overall you can't beat starting from scratch. Many of the features are already built into the operating system all the program does is give you a pretty interface to be able to use them. Far better off saving your money and learning how to run the bits individually via the OS.

Personally i'd still say it'd be better to backup and fresh install.

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
i,ve used a reg cleaner before, but not one which repairs the pc.
The old laptop is 8 years old, has 30 Gig Hard drive memory (nearly full) and had severe problems a couple of years ago which resulted in a complete reformat (twice) to get it back on track.
The sound card no longer works, Youtube vids rarely play, and the fan is very noisy. Other than that, its has been great and served its pupose well.

Hence I do think a new one is the best option.
I have found a good Toshiba one which get a £30 discount of bought online, and a further 5% by using vouchercodes.co.uk. So about £50 saving and free delivery.
PC World were offering "upto" £100 discount if I traded in the old one in store, but this actually turned out to be £30 when they took down the details. I would prefer to keep the old one anyway just in case I missed something when backing up data.

Guess I will also need to buy Office 2007 to go with the new laptop too as 2003 probably wont work with the new operating system.
Sounds like you would be far better with a new machine.

Office 2003 will work fine as long as you've still got the installation disks :tup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts