Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need a screen taken out a classic car and put in another car, rubber affair, i'll get a new rubber for it.

Orpington, Kent.

Any recommendations?

Cheers, Aaron, 07944 8585threetwo.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its rubber then cut the old rubber out and replace using the old fashioned method of using strong string(para cord)
Hi yeah thanks, don't want to break the screen getting it out and in, it's for a '51 Stude and apparently the screen needs to be fitted from the inside of the car, will cut the old one out just getting the new one in scares me.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
It's the same doing it from inside out , early mgm magnettes are done like that .lol
Install is easy tbh especially if it's in rubber and not glued in. This is a reasonably good guide on how to do it .
Windshield Installation FREE Instructions
I would do a couple of things slightly different but I have been doing this for the last 17 years so I know my shortcuts. My 63 country sedan took 2 hours to do but my mates 59 ranchero took 15 mins .
Things I do different .
When running the string around the groove in rubber leave 4 loops in string, one loop 2" in from all 4 corners on top and bottom of glass as this will help locate the glass when you pull it in. When you pull it in I do top drivers side about 2" along top and just around the corner done the side about 1", repeat on bottom corner then the same on passenger side .
Now your glass is located and will fall into position naturally. Complete pulling the rope down both sides of glass then work towards the centre of glass evenly on top and bottom drivers side then passenger side doing a little at a time.
Keep string as close to glass as you can when pulling and it will not rip the rubber.
If it's hard to pull string release the pressure that is being applied to glass from outside as you only need that to start with in corners 9 times out of ten.
If string doesn't "lip" the rubber over metal flange use the hook tool to pull it over carefully .
I really hope this helps you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts