Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to remove the rear window on the Edsel , got a new seal for when it goes back in but looking for recommendations on what to use

In the past I have used Arbomast but find it dries out and breaks down allowing water to leak in , silicon affects some new rubber seals and Tiger seal is too permanent

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arbomast was recommended and supplied by our local windscreen company the last 2 I have done both had very good seals that have not shrunk but have leaked slightly
I have a new seal for the Edsel so maybe try again with Arboseal and hope for the best

·
Administrator
9,542 Posts
PS,
How do you use it?
I always pump a big bead into the groove where the glass goes, then fit to the glass.
Then fit to car and pump another big bead under rubber to bodywork.

Then scrape the excess off with a blunt wood or plastic scraper and clean up with panel wipe.
I need to do this another couple of times over the next few days as more sealant gradually gets squeezed out, but never had a window leak ever.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its the green stuff I have used and use just the same as you do , on my truck if I pull back the seal near where the leak is the sealant has hardened and falls to pieces when touched
When I get chance I will take out the screen /fully clean the rubber and refit with fresh sealer

BTW what do you use to lube the seal when installing , I tried all sorts when did the windows on the Cresta also waxed the cord , they were a bastard to fit , they are double lipped so have to be pulled in with 2 sets of cord

·
Administrator
9,542 Posts
I think you have answered the question - when I pulled back the seal on my truck - if the seal is good then, A its should not really be able to be pulled back, and B, the Arbomast has dried out due to the seal not being tight.

Arbomast stays relatively soft as long as the rubber is a good fit and is air tight.

Lube? not used it for years (recent ones went in without lube) but good old fashioned fairy liquid. The trick its to not pull the cord, but to wind it in circles as you pull, the circular motion (has to be right direction) lifts the seal over the metal a little every revolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts