Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Muppet
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long shot, but I know a few of you, like me, have had Opel Manta’s in the past! I have a pair of Manta headlight wiper motors from when I converted mine to quad headlights and I want to use one on the Vicky as a cheap solution to my wiper problem. Does anyone have an old Haines manual kicking around as I could do with knowing which wire is which so I can check them before I fit one as they have been kicking around the garage for the past 20 years!!! I knew that they would come in handy one day!!! :D

If not anyone know how to work out which wire goes where:?:

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
its not hard to work out, brown will be earth, one of the others will be live for the park and the other will be run, connect brown to negative on a battery, then touch one of the others on the positive (i would have thought blue would be main switched power (ie it keeps running) then try the other one to positive, it should run then stop in its park position. i would put a fuse in line so if you do get it wrong it just blows the fuse:tup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I found this site useful when wiring my wipers, I struggled to get them to work and thought the same "only 3 wires how hard can it be". Mine was a GM wiper motor, twin speed and park with wash, No matter what I tried could not get it to work right, problem I had was I had the switch out of the dash, after reading the info on this site I realised that the switch needs an earth, fitting it back in the dash earthed it and it worked. Don't think your headlight motor will have twin speed so should not be that hard. Ignore all the blurb about fitting a delay wiper system and just go to the theory of operation for some useful diagrams

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wipers/index.html

·
Muppet
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Will give it a whirl tonight and see what happens! :D

Cheers

Gary

·
Muppet
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to you guys I had some success last night! :D

Connected up the wires and the motor came to life with no problem. Made up a mounting plate to bolt it to the steel frame that runs inside the body above the screen and drilled a hole for the spindle to go through. Simples :tup:

All I have to do now is buy an arm and blade and that is another job finished!

Paul, the Bosch motor I used is the perfect size and fits nicely above the screen. Cheaper alternative to the after market ones available!;)

Thanks again all!

·
Nitro Addict
18 Posts
Good Man, so I can get you booked in for an MOT when ???????
Maybe the same day as mine ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts