Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated above I really need some help. My car had all wiring removed from it before I got it and it has non standard lights/guages/engine so can't use an original loom and would like to have all fresh wires for safety.
I understand wiring but unsure about thicknesses needed.
Is there any diagrams explaining building a fresh loom and what sized wire I will need anywhere?
Thanks guys :-/ in a bit of a dilemma

·
Registered
622 Posts
Why not use an ezi wire kit. They're pretty easy to use as there destination is printed every few inches. Got one to put in my truck when done and it looks pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ezi wire and speedway cool I shall look at these.
A little more info for you guys the car is a 60's English ford with a td installed.
It has modern style headlights. Original indicators and original rears
Interior has a more modern style ignition, original dash (speedo, fuel, indicators, oil pressure) and some added guages, oil pressure (guage rather than single light) rev counter and boost guage so very simple.
I do have most clips, relays and plugs laying around so could use them.
Ill let you know how I get on :)

·
Rekindled Dream
2,064 Posts
Hi Shaun.

The trouble with a kit is you will get wires you don't need which can be confusing, or maybe of the wrong size cable for your equipment as the manufacturers can only think through so much.

You say you have most of the plugs, relays etc and you understand wiring so it would make sense to start from scratch. plus you should save a lot to boot

Have a look at AES (Auto Electrical Supplies). They do everything you'll need to start from scratch. On their PVC cable page they show example wire current sizes for common circuit types so you can work out by cross referencing the current ratings which thinwall cable type to use for your circuits. In their technical section they list cable colour codes by circuit types as well.

Just go about wiring individual circuits until it's done. Work methodically and double check (get a mate to help). It isn't that hard.

This topic has been covered a few times in the technical area on here and a search will bring up some answers.

Good luck ... Jon

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you chunky! I have looked on tvs and was going to buy what I needed from there.
I will check their page again for those instructions lol
And will search the tech info part! Thanks guys,
Will start getting the finishing parts together and recon ill build one myself :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.