Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D yep the normal car rebuild not fastest but damn im happy

Brought this of my frined who i brought the moggie of on ebay as same may of seen its a

1974 mk3 cortina Ghia four door

when i brought it, it had already started its transformation put paul then well worked and got lazy and it got stored in his barn, came with the slotted mags, new tyres all round, rear spoiler, side pipe, V6 2.8 granny and the hilborn scoop all for £1100 bargin

so easy job right ! new battery petrol and 2 core plugs easy OHHHH

so change the core plugs exhaust manifolds in the way get them off 3days of heat and patsy clineing lmao

well heres some pics enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO after i thought ill fit new exhaust studs what happened yeah that last stud went SNAP so heads off job so cleaned the pistons bay and then cracked on with a list of things

TO DO

change cracked steering gaitor
sort wiring lights,
slow deflating front wheel
welding
exhaust brackets as they scrap on the floor sometimes
clean seats
rebuild heads /stud extract (drill and easy out)
check all nuts bolts
make electric fan bracket
clean
over the car with hammer = find more welding
rear wheel leaking brake fluid
change all core plugs
speedo cable
etc etc im geting bored typing lol

so then the welding OH DEAR

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AND BEFORE YOU SAY yes i was being cheap as we had loads of galv steel at work so sanded the zinc of and welded i did buy just steel after

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

then i lost a few pictures but sorted that out then had taaken that door and wing off to get a clear view of whats going

then i checked the bore's again after waiting for my uncle to come round for 2weeks and found with my boss'es new bore gauge tool it was over 14-16thou on piston ring wear so thought lets just re build the lot so engine out and stripped was very fun and easy how i love the smell of car engine oil

·
Registered
919 Posts
Would have been better to have bought a real hotrod ?,he,he

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well done Ash, good to see you youngsters getting stuck in.
It's amazing how you can think a car looks solid, then when you start digging you end up chasing rust all over & start thinking, my god where's this gonna end.
Don't worry about using galvanized steel I've used it years ago when money was tight (still is). Hell I've even used old road signs :eek: when desperate.
I love the Mk3's, my oldest son Matt has got one 80% finished but lost interest in it a couple of years ago when he bought his pickup, which is now also in bits :slap::lol:
Keep the updates coming, like you say not everyone can afford to pay someone to do the work for them, it's how we learned, nothing a big hammer & a bit of steel can't fix.
:tup:Chucks

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
nice one ash,if it turns out half as nice as your bike it will be a good one...:tup:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Wondered when you'd get around to posting these up. Nice to see you getting on with it but how come when we chatted about it at Bakewell it was nearly there and now it's, ummmm... not? Don't answer that! Surprising what was under all that shiny purple paint, looked good in the pic's, like Chucks said tho' and I think we've all been there... As for welding galv', you probably know better anyway, but just make sure you grind the coating off before welding or the smoke is highly toxic - doesn't smell nice and can be extremely painful if it infects your kidneys, experience speaking :shake:

Nearly forgot to say; you could always make life easy and build it like a true seventies custom 'Tina... cereal packets, chicken wire and filler - that's not far off how the magazines taught you back in the day!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nearly forgot to say; you could always make life easy and build it like a true seventies custom 'Tina... cereal packets, chicken wire and filler - that's not far off how the magazines taught you back in the day!

thats the only saving grace to how its a good thing that we "dont" do that anymore lol

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice one!
By the way, Ghia Cortinas didn't come out until Mk4. Top of the range Mk3s were called 2000E.
the badge begs to differ but it is just a badge looks like its genuine fitment unless mk3 and 4 have the same glovebox door i dont know 1st tina a 2000 XL on the logbook

anyway the drain holes was welded up and spoiler was painted and it being plastic and not keyed yep the paint was flakey and someone tried to get some of it of with a scrapper yep chunks taken out so the plastic filler was out and 4 dusty scooters later and some plaster filler primer looks ok

·
Banjo snapper.
3,507 Posts
Later Mk3's had a dash that got carried over to the Mk4.

·
richard rawlplug
8,115 Posts
Yep, that's a Mk4 glove box lid. It would say Ghia on the log book. You've got Mk5 GL door cards as well with 2000E wood tops.
mmmm....got the parka jacket on tonight mate..???

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep, that's a Mk4 glove box lid. It would say Ghia on the log book. You've got Mk5 GL door cards as well with 2000E wood tops.
cross over model maybe had samesort of thing on the scooters or its a bits'a haha dont really bother just nice to know thanks lee :tup:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts