Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought some of you would like to see this, I dedicate a few hours a week to help out at the De Havilland Museum at London Colney, near St Albans.
Its the birthplace of the mossie and they have lots of aircraft down there including 3 mosquitos, the original prototype (undergoing full resto), a bomber, (restored but not to flying condition) and a fighter bomber which is what I am helping out with at the moment (i.m a chippy by trade and the whole thing is made of wood).
It is run by a bunch of very enthusiastic old boys who are all volunteers and do it for the love.
If anyone could spare a few hours now and again they would be pleased to see you, or maybe go to the museum as a paying customer, its only a fiver and they need all the money they can get!
Open the first sunday in March onwards.
Thanks for looking

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it there are no airworthy mosquitos left in the world?
The last airworthy one sadly crashed at an airshow near Bolton in 1996 I believe, both pilots were tragically killed (there is some footage on youtube). There is a guy in New Zealand is building one from scratch, reckons it should be ready to fly sometime this year. There is also an original mossie again in NZ that is being restored to full flying condition, and that one is a few years off completion.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Thanks for posting - always intended visting - see it from M25!

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
The last airworthy one sadly crashed at an airshow near Bolton in 1996 I believe, both pilots were tragically killed (there is some footage on youtube). There is a guy in New Zealand is building one from scratch, reckons it should be ready to fly sometime this year. There is also an original mossie again in NZ that is being restored to full flying condition, and that one is a few years off completion.
Not good! not gonna see one in the uk for the foreseeable future then.

I remember reading the book 633 Squadron when i was a kid... several times.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If I was nearer I would gladly give time to help get these aircraft back in the air. I know similar teams do the work at Duxford.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
See the Chipmunk in the foreground...I've got 10 or so hours in them. CCF at school in the seventies.
Used to go off to RAF bases a couple of times a year, spend a weekend, get to fly, shoot shit up with the RAF Regiment on the ranges. Pretty cool when you were 14/15 years old.

·
Registered
531 Posts
An almost useless fact r.e the Mossie, they had so much trouble with the exhausts setting the fuselage alight, that deHavillands engine designer (Halford) suggested that the next aeroplane they build, should be designed around the exhaust system! Ironically they did just that, with the Vampire jet!
As said it is a good museum especially in warmer weather, with nice views over open farm land; (and a few aeroplanes as well!) does Bruce Gordon still get down there?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I live just up the road from this (Hatfield) and have never been, typical I suppose!! Been past many time's, even got our dog from the RSPCA virtually next door.....

Not doubting you but feel sure I have seen some Mosquito's flying over head over the lats couple of year's??

Edit. Maybe they were replica's?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Up there with the Spitfire in iconic terms as far as I'm concerned, it was also the fastest plane at the time ! The fact that it was made from wood is also genius and when you look at the proportions you just know it's RIGHT ! Like a perfectly proportioned hot rod of the sky. I will get down there to have a shufty eventually, I've been meaning to for the last couple of years now so I'm going to make a special effort this year.
Thank's for posting this and keep up the good work my man !!

Dave.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Oh that's such a shame, used to see one fly every year at Finningley airshow in the 60's & 70's

And I thought restoring a car is hard enough, is the one you're working on being restored to flying condition?
Ta
Al

·
Hammer-based simpleton
489 Posts
Nice one Flipper, I love that place and how laid back it is, only been a couple of times though. I applied to volunteer at Duxford, but the only open spots were in the mil vehicles bit and although I had a Landy Lightweight I didn't fancy it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Flipper
I live about 2 minutes away in London Colney (off Shenley lane). Typical, been here 21 years and always intend to go! I don't mind helping out with a small run down there in the spring / summer to highlight awareness of it being there. Could cruise down St Albans high street with people handing out flyers for it then park up in Sainsbury's for 1/2 hour then maybe a BBQ at the site. I guess I could do a few hours a week if I could be of any help. Don't suppose they have a spare engine for the '57 do they? lol
pm me some details.

·
Registered
345 Posts
WoW would love to have that on my doorstep ,can,t be many wodern wonders left I think theres one in the air museam up near York...

I belive that in the day of these been a new aircraft that to fly one you had to have a good few hours on spitfires first...Could be wrong!

·
Registered
785 Posts
exellent dude, a chap called paul morgan had a sea furry? and a p51 i think, spoke to him a few days before he got killed in his fury :( but always had a big soft spot for military planes of any description.

·
Premium Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the comments etc, looking forward to getting something sorted this year, this is also a great venue for a car show, so want to try and get one sorted for late summer this year if possible, any ideas and suggestions gratefully received.

·
Registered
491 Posts
An almost useless fact r.e the Mossie, they had so much trouble with the exhausts setting the fuselage alight, that deHavillands engine designer (Halford) suggested that the next aeroplane they build, should be designed around the exhaust system! Ironically they did just that, with the Vampire jet!
As said it is a good museum especially in warmer weather, with nice views over open farm land; (and a few aeroplanes as well!) does Bruce Gordon still get down there?
The next one off the drawing board was the Hornet, also with twin RR Merlins and made of wood, the fastest piston engined fighter ever in service.

Bruce moved too far away I believe to volunteer there anymore, I 'see' him on another forum (historic aircraft), so he is still into his old planes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts