Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Antons 76 Buick Century coupe today to sort out some wiring issues.
One of thses is that it is still running red rear indicators. Managed to get hoid of a wiring digram and it appears all switching is done on the indicator stalk ie one circuit in from brake circuit and another from indicator, switch indicator on and brake light is disconnected on that side and then indicator unit is connected at the same time. This means only one wire feed to rear so cannot interupt it there without having an amber indicator on when braking.

Obviously I can run supply to rear indicators from fronts ( as no braking circuit involved there ) but this still leaves rear red indicators working.

I can see if I cut the feed from indicator unit to indicator switch I can stop teh rear red indicators but that means taking feeds from all 4 corners and connecting to a seperate toggle switch leaving teh normal indicator switch redundant.

Is this the normal practice or am I missing something ?

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,746 Posts
Kev the easiest solution for many was to put in a new run from the brake switch and then have the brake lights stay in the red lenses. Move the rear indicator feeds across to the reversing light lenses with orange bulbs.

Effectively you create a new brake light circuit and run into the red lenses and run the intact indicator circuit into the white lenses.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, I was locked into just looking at the one circuit , that should be simpler to achieve, many thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts