Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sometimes buy ads from the USA. I haven't bought this one, but it sure is purty!!

Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Newspaper Car

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Mmm we all have different tastes, but that just looks so very wrong, kind of looks like somethings mutated out the back of it! :beuj:
If one turned up at a run next year Russ, I guarantee you would eat your words, or your hat or any combination. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what Rruss means though. I would have expected it to be articulated, not a long rigid body........ would still like it as a motorhome!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Odd for sure the rear wheels on the cab section look like it has a gap for articulation but the body is joined at the top.
Perhaps it's just artistic license - in the old adds the drawn renditions didn't always match the real deal.

·
Registered
92 Posts
well - that told me
still can't see how it'd go round a corner the second set of wheels are almost in the middle.
Now who's going to post a video to prove me wrong.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe these alternative views will help. Looks like they pivot and have closely fitting unit and trailer:

·
Super Moderator
7,399 Posts
From this pic it would seem there is a close faring that ends over the second axle.

And they do seem to uncouple.

Oh and Posh with a capital P.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Maybe these alternative views will help. Looks like they pivot and have closely fitting unit and trailer:

Flexible, like a 'bendy-bus' Now it makes sense...ish!

They were apparently built for a trip to Africa, so someone is probably living in the remains somewhere!

Oh, and please remind me to never say never or words to that effect on this forum again!! I'll never be right!

·
Registered
92 Posts

Have to admit I'm normally a reader rather than a poster but this has really got my interest.

Attilio Gatti, an Italian, World War I army officer, author, film-maker and explorer first set out to explore Africa in 1924. By the time he set out for his "final expedition" in 1938 he had already led 9 previous expeditions, one of those resulting in the 1927 film Siliva the Zulu. It was because of these films, plus his adventure writings in magazines like the Saturday Evening Post that he was able to obtain financing to further his travels. Exploits if his 10th expedition were later published in 1945 as South of the Sahara.
For this expedition into to Africa Congo, International Harvester specially produced the"Jungle Yachts" which were trucks and truck/trailer combinations. The 5 vehicles combined traversed 66,000 miles, almost none of it on pavement, and only experienced minor breakdowns
To prevent the expedition from becoming a political nightmare, Gatti pulled his expedition out of Africa after only 15 months when WWII broke out

·
Registered
92 Posts
Found the following story in popular mechanics Jun 1941.
Lots more detail on the trucks and if you look closely at the river crossing you can see how the truck joins.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts