Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what's around the corner . We were supposed to be at a mates 60th birthday party tonight . Quite a landmark for most but in this case Graham went into kidney failure aged only 28 .We met for the first time when he was leaving hospital from his first transplant and I was going in for mine.

He got the best part of 23 years service from his before it failed returning him to dialysis a little while back. However we are a hardy bunch and it never stops us from a good party .

Anyway he's had a 'simple' op earlier in the week to prepare him for more longterm dialysis and it's gone wrong. He's got an infection in the wound and is now in critical care instead of partying.:tdown:

Take care of yourselves and think about the here and now.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,444 Posts
Agreed, sometimes that light at the end of a tunnel can be an oncoming train.

Lost my own dad when he was 59, two months before his 60th, two weeks before my brothers wedding, ON my brothers stag-do due to a massive heart attack.

He was also on dialysis after eventually being diagnosed with both kidneys failed after many, many mis-diagnosis, they eventually discovered the kidney problems after he suffered a mild heart attack.

Some illnesses are easy to spot, some are easy to prevent, but kidney problems less-so.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Yep, went to a mates funeral on Wednesday. He was 54, on holiday in Florida with his girlfriend of 20 years, Heart attack on a roller coaster and dead before it stopped. Some vanners and rodders at the funeral and we've started thinking of our own funerals!

LIVE FOR TODAY!!!!!!

·
The Camino Kid
1,173 Posts
Makes ya wonder wherre you're safe these days. My wifes friends father went into hospital for a routine operation on his knee, during recovery he contracted MRSA and died a week later. Ok, the guy was in his 70's but, nonetheless, I'd be seriously worried if I had to have an operation these days. Hope your friend makes a full recovery Kev. Rog.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We ALWAYS get checked for MRSA as soon as we are admitted Rog .It's bad enough for normal people but when you are dialysing or transplanted you have a much lower immune system. We have side rooms on the ward where we are 'barrier nursed' if we have anything infectious.

We even have our own High Dependency Unit on Renal so Graham is seriously ill to be in Critical Care. He's had a few close calls in the past but like us all isn't totally bulletproof so I won't sleep easy until he's out and back on a normal ward.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Fingers, toes, arms and legs crossed, hope it all works out for him.

Whenever I hear things like this it makes me realise how lucky I am to be in relatively good health, a couple of collapsed vertebrae and some sciatica pale into insignificance.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Fingers crossed for your mate Kev. So far just this year I have had SEVEN people die that I know (knew I guess now), lifes to short to put things of until tomorrow. Keep us posted, I'm sure he will pull though fine.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For all those who've asked after Graham I'm pleased to report he's now out of Critical Care and back on Renal High Dependency Unit, getting stronger by the day ...PHEW.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts