Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you know that I was made redundnat about 2 years ago and had suffered a fairlly nasty breakdown. I haven't been able to find a full time job and went self employed. I have a day or two each week with alocal removal compnay (nothing since before Christmas) and you might have seen my collections gradually being sold on E-bay ( half to my car fund and half to the household!).

Had another idea! I have loads of 1940's 50's and some 60's original adverts (these are full size 11" x 18", not foolscap size) which Iput into home made wooden frames, distresed to look old. I sold a couple in a local Art Shop. There are also some double page, such as the Ford truck one, 22" x 18". And, a few other pictures that I have.

Is there a market in the rodding world? I'm thinking of making some up and doing the Swap Meet in March. You'd be the people to be honest and tell me!!

Examples below.

·
richard rawlplug
8,228 Posts
looks good,can you post them as i would be interested in some depending what you have.?

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
i love things like this , but does come down to price in most cases . but yep if i saw you at the swap meet and i thought the price was right i would be purchasing from you:D

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Great idea. They look good.
But what will you do when you have run out of stuff to frame?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Same as above comments, great idea, I know they were only examples but I wouldn't use those frames. (first two pics).

I have a friend who ran an art shop here in Scarborough who made a small fortune running prints off of his original water colours. He was originally selling his originals for not much more than the prints.:shocked:.I'm sure there's a market for you to do the same especially at Car Shows. As I said to him do them in different sizes too. Scale down using a photocopy style print. You can sell them in sets then suitably framed.

Just an idea....Good luck :):tup:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE "looks good,can you post them as i would be interested in some depending what you have.? "

I'm sure they can be posted, they do not have glass in them. I'll get some prices. pm whjat sort of stuff you like please.

Quote "But what will you do when you have run out of stuff to frame? "

That's a good question!! I would hope that if I made some money on them I could buy more! Or look for the next way to earn a quid!! lol

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Same as above comments, great idea, I know they were only examples but I wouldn't use those frames. (first two pics).

I have a friend who ran an art shop here in Scarborough who made a small fortune running prints off of his original water colours. He was originally selling his originals for not much more than the prints.:shocked:.I'm sure there's a market for you to do the same especially at Car Shows. As I said to him do them in different sizes too. Scale down using a photocopy style print. You can sell them in sets then suitably framed.

Just an idea....Good luck :):tup:
Thanks for that! I thought those frames may look good in a garage and carry on the 'old' feel of them. I like the idea of different sizes.

Seems like if I do this properly I may be able to earn a littlle bit! Never gonna make millions but at least it would be doing some extra and something that is fun!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Not wishing to put you off but running off copies "may" infringe copyright etc., I don't know but I'd check first - be a shame to lose any "profit" to fines from Trading Standards or similar. The guy copying his own watercolours would be in a different position there.
Other than that I think there is a market for most things at the right price, finding the price at which they will sell and one that makes it worth it for you may be the problem. I tried a similar thing with original adverts for classic 'bikes (BSA and Triumph) and was somewhat disappointed at the response - I think the Post Office were the only ones who made anything out of it! But, I'm no business man.
Having not had a proper job since being the other half's carer a few years back I can guess how you feel - very best of luck to you in whatever you do.

·
Nowheresville
3,133 Posts
I don't think the frames are too bad, but they might add a bit to the postage cost. They also might appeal to a broader customer base than just rodders, as Coke is pretty universal! Not being glazed may put some people off, but glass would add to your cost and may cause problems with shipping.

Not sure that you could sell enough to cover the expenses of a swap meet stall at typically £20 - £30. I would have a browse through eBay to see what sort of prices people are asking for this type of thing (and check feedback to see if they're actually selling any). I went to a local autojumble on Sunday and someone had a pile of car adverts there for two or three quid each.

How about mounting them to a board and fitting a cheapo clock mechanism, strategically placed?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
No copyright on stuff over 50 years old.
My 2p says:
Get a simple free website set up.
Advertise on forums and ebay, attend shows and swap meets as and when you are able to afford them.
Buy avery labels and design a little something to stick on the back of each print telling people where to buy more prints from.
Do one really good scan copy and keep it as your master to print from.
Frame the original really nicely and advertise it for strong money.
Frame the prints shaby chic and sell em for a profit but a lot cheaper than the original.
Reinvest profits as and when in new originals.
Repeat as above.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There is a guy at the juke box shows who sells similar prints. He makes the card surrounds, mounts the photo, puts them in cellophane wrapping. He then puts them by subject in boxes so buyers can flick though. Saves on carrying loads of frames around and as peoples tastes in frames are all different it leaves the buyer free to choose their own frame. Makes it easier to sell mail order as well. As has been mentioned selling copies at a cheaper price may be the way to go. I can't sse big companies chasing you for copyright infringement for such old items, as there seem to be a myriad of repro tin signs around advertising Chevy, Ford and the like. Wishing you all the best for your venture.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.