Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well iv been fiddling and fiddling with my mk2 Zephyr for ages now trying to cure this problem and iv run out of ideas has anyone got any ideas what could be wrong? when i pull the choke on she just dies straight away like theres no fuel but if i pull the choke out slighty like not even a 1/4 of the way she'll run on it. but runs fine so long as the chokes wide open, except for a little hiccup when you initially rev up which im presuming is timing. i assuming that this is a carb problem so i serviced it so now im baffled.:S:S:S

·
Registered
403 Posts
You've either got a vacuum leak - check vacuum line to wipers and/or inlet manifold gaskets, or your economy diaphragm is knackered.
Give me a bell tomorrow 01322 439666 I should have any parts you need

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
vacuum leak did cross my mind but i had it running fine at one point, the first time i took the carb apart cleaned it and put it back together it ran well for about 2 weeks of constant use then it went back to its old ways thats why i rebuilt the carb but that hasnt cured it. ill check all the vacuum lines tomorrow. the economy diaphragm is the one on top of the carb drawn up by vacuum isnt it? because i replaced this thinking that could be the problem, i did wonder wether theres a problem with the actual carb like not drawing a strong enough vacuum from the carb to pull the diaphragm tight?

thanks for taking the time to help really appreciate it. any other ideas ill be grateful as i really want to cure this over the weekend.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i fitted a new spring aswell.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sounding more like a vac leak then. Wiper hose is favorite! If not, bell me and we'll get to the bottom of it.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Why would you put the choke on when shes running .............. your blocking off the air making a rich mixture causing her to cut out

If she starts without choke then id say she was too rich in the firs place .................. but i could be totally wrong (and often is) :tup:

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
believe it or not i had a prob very similar to that years and years ago and i pissed about with it for weeks. (was a mk3 zodiac) but i went through everything with absolute precision and it was doing my head in....such a simple prob but just not happening. Turned out in the end to be the air filter was fairly dusty and the over night damp air had clogged it with dew. Fitted just a new element in the end and it never happen again. One of them things i never thought I would slip up on, but goes to show you can sometimes just not see the obvious

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the choke needs to be on when shes running otherwise the idle drops till shes got some warmth in her so i dont think its mixture as iv fiddled and fiddle with the mixture screw over and over haha. ill have a look through all the vac pipes tomorrow. i dont think its the air filter as she does it with or with out the airbox plumbed in and its got clean oil in it but its worth checking i guess.

thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Got a similar problem with my mk3 Zodiac which has improved since I replaced the carb/ manifold gasket, but I reckon air leak is the cause and probably is on yours too. The gaskets harden and fail over time this is sometimes accompanied by a whistle when the engine is idling (as in the case of my car) I bought some gasket paper/ material on ebay and made my own (cheapest easiest option) I know the zephyr/ zodiac engine needs to be timed pretty accurately to run smoothly so checking timing may help.
Hope this helps and you get your problem sorted#
Charlie

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers for the help guys. but i think i sorted yesterday. i adjusted the little rod that opens the throttle slightly as the choke closes, i guess it must of been starving it of air before the revs got a chance to pick up therefore not having enough force to suck more petrol in. hope this has fixed it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts