Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all got a bit of a problem with the zodiac I,m hoping someone can advise me on, the car starts, idles, accelerates and drives fine, the problem is when coming off idle either revving or getting back on the gas after coasting or changing gear there is a distinct jerk or hesitation. I have had the carb apart reset the float given the whole thing a good clean out and fitted new gaskets, I also fitted a new petronix ignition unit but the problem is still there. Other than the hesitation the car goes like a goodun timing etc seems spot on.
Any advice / help appreciated Charlie

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'd pull the carb and put a stright edge across the bottom of the carb from the middle of one bolt hole across the bore to the middle of other bolt hole. Dont be supprised to find the bottom of the carb is bent. I found this to be very common. Normaly caused by a stack of gaskets used in place of the proper spacer and or constant tightening of the carb mounting nut's. If you find this is so use a proper spacer and locking nuts or nut + split or shake proof washers, and only nip the carb down ( maybe 10 lb/ft or so) You will also need to flaturn the carb bottom. You can do this using a file and draw file it, Load the file with Lard/tallow or oil works, to stup the file cloging. Also the throtle spindle is prolly worn, this would need to be sorted. I found that flatening the carb bottom makes the biggest difference to correct lean of idle stuff like it sounds you have. And check accelerator pump and the econamy diaphram which I think your carb has. Also you got an ally fanimould on there, check him for flatness to.
Although this list appears backwords, it is from experiance. I have found that if you got the carb off, you might as well do it in this order. And with the carb spindle, the carb is a zinc alloy and the spindle is brass, youd think the carb would be worn, not the spindle. I have found just by swaping in a new stock spindle the slopyness is sorted, without needing to bush the carb body.
Let us know how you get on.
Martin.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
Had a similar thing on a friends Mk 3 that turned out to be a missing /stuck ( can't rebember which) ballbearing in the accelerator pump circuit. That's presuming, of course ,that the pump circuit is working as the brass hat has a habit of sticking down.

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok cheers guys got a couple of new ideas to look at there, I'll get on it tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Again thanks guys:tup:

·
Premium Member
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Hey cars going liked a good,un :tup: many thanks to all , it turned out to be the accelerator pump/ piston again cheers guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts